DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What a Zoom!

BratPix

The Sony RX10iii has not finished to amaze me. Here is a picture of the town hall of Cachan (near Paris), taken yesterday late in the afternoon with this bridge at 24mm full frame equivalent. I draw your attention to the upper left corner of the building facing us, where we can see a decorative area in yellow bricks just above the mention HOTEL DE VILLE DE CACHAN in green.

DSC01078.jpg

Below is now a picture of this area taken from the same place with the same camera at 600 mm full frame equivalent. In both cases the aperture is fixed at f/4.

DSC01080.jpg

I let you imagine the price and weight of a full frame zoom lens covering this range of focal lengths with this aperture...

The Sony RX10iii has not finished to amaze me. Here is a picture of the town hall of Cachan (near Paris), taken yesterday late in the afternoon with this bridge at 24mm full frame equivalent. I draw your attention to the upper left corner of the building facing us, where we can see a decorative area in yellow bricks just above the mention HOTEL DE VILLE DE CACHAN in green.

View attachment 3044

Below is now a picture of this area taken from the same place with the same camera at 600 mm full frame equivalent. In both cases the aperture is fixed at f/4.

View attachment 3045

I let you imagine the price and weight of a full frame zoom lens covering this range of focal lengths with this aperture...
Welcome to the RX10 club! It is an awesome camera. By the way, the major difference between the RX10iii and RX10iv is they greatly improved the focus capture. On the M3, focus works quite well on stationery subjects. But if they are moving around, not so well. The M4 will lock on them and follow the subjects around the frame. I had the M3 for a few years and it worked excellently for me. I upgraded to the M4 a few years ago and its focus capture is very noticeable on non-stationery subject. IQ between the cameras is identical.

Enjoy that new camera.

Jerry

Welcome to the RX10 club! It is an awesome camera. By the way, the major difference between the RX10iii and RX10iv is they greatly improved the focus capture. On the M3, focus works quite well on stationery subjects. But if they are moving around, not so well. The M4 will lock on them and follow the subjects around the frame. I had the M3 for a few years and it worked excellently for me. I upgraded to the M4 a few years ago and its focus capture is very noticeable on non-stationery subject. IQ between the cameras is identical.

Enjoy that new camera.

Jerry
Thank you Jerry, but I must tell you that I have had this marvelous ca

Enjoy that new camera.

Jerry
Thank you Jerry, but I must tell you that I have also had this marvelous camera for a few years now. It is my Swiss Army Knife, which I take with me when I do not know what to expect, possibly with more specialized equipment. I agree with what you say about the diffeerence between the iii and iv versions, but I never had the chance to try a iv in real-life conditions. The only thing I advise everybody to be careful about with these cameras is laser beams used for lighting shows, which can distroy your sensor in the blink of an eye. I know because it happened to me. Sony was gracious enough to replace my sensor for free and advised me to be more cautious. I am now but am still amazed that this is not made clear in the documentation provided with the cameras. The problem is the same for all hybrid cameras, by the way.

View attachment 3044

View attachment 3045

Indeed impressive optics! Just for my information: Did you crop the 600 mm equivalent image, or is it the full 20 MP image? Is it Jpeg from the camera or did you shot RAW?

Thanks,
Ab

Indeed impressive optics! Just for my information: Did you crop the 600 mm equivalent image, or is it the full 20 MP image? Is it Jpeg from the camera or did you shot RAW?

Thanks,
Ab
Thank you Ab. This is not the full 20 MP image (it would not be square). I used the Keystone tool in Capture One to make this square area actually square (it was not because I was not excactly in front of it), and then removed a part of the resulting image to make it square. I always shoot RAW as I have no time-constraint for delivery to a non-existent client.

Thank you Ab. This is not the full 20 MP image (it would not be square). I used the Keystone tool in Capture One to make this square area actually square (it was not because I was not excactly in front of it), and then removed a part of the resulting image to make it square. I always shoot RAW as I have no time-constraint for delivery to a non-existent client.
Thanks, that explains also the incredible edge-to-edge sharpness of the cropped 600 mm equivalent image. With my copy of the RX10iv I observe some loss at left edges of the full image at 600 mm equivalent at f/4.0; actually the focus plain is shifting some to the front at the 1/3 left part of the image at full flat objects.'It improves when stopped down to f/5.6 When this 'feature does not change over time of use I can take it into account. Mostly at 600 mm equivalent you use the subject of the picture is in the center, so in practice I don't notice it. Up to about 450 mm equivalent my lens is razor sharp edge-to-edge.

just to tease Smaug a bit (see attachment): full 20 MP image processed in PL6 using (corrected) auto mask on the bird for exposure and microcontrast correction.

Attachments

• DSC00365 RX10iv PL6-1 small.jpg
    EXIF
    DSC00365 RX10iv PL6-1 small.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 11
It does not show the sharpness I get from the original; apparently I do something wrong inserting the picture here..
1683558348914.jpeg

Back