DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cleaning Zeiss Lenses

Dave:

I have used the "L" solution kit and I would buy it again. It is more expensive than other Zeiss products (about $30.00 delivered).

However, I trust that it will not harm my lenses or T*coatings. It also worked well on my Zeiss binoculars.

I have not seen it advertised for sale anywhere in America.

I only know of M. Huppert as the supplier.

www.foto-huppert.de

Sincerely:

Gilbert

I bought a bottle of ZEISS lens cleaner fronm B&H for $6.50.

Not expensive, and works like magic!!

The $6.50 Zeiss cleaner available at B&H actually was formulated for their vision lenses. In other words - to clean your glasses, not your photographic lenses. It can be technically used to clean your photo lenses, but it doesn't evaporate as fast and it might leave some marks on the outer sides of the lens, where it's hard to wipe it off with cleaning cloth. As far as I know, any alcohol based solutions should never be used to clean lenses with multicoating.

The Zeiss cleaning kit is obviously best choice, but I don't know if it's available in US now. Alternative solution is to email Zeiss - they will tell you formula to mix your own cleaner in-house. I think it includes isopropanol and two or three more components.

Mike.

Hi Mike, thanks for your input (we can never be too careful with expensive lenses),
however, the $6.50 Zeiss lens cleaner appears to be made for camera lenses.

On the instruction label we have: (i quote portions)
"High-tech ammonia-free formula"
"especially those with Zeiss anti-reflective multi-layer coatings"
"Contains Isopropanol."

I notice it is made for Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc,
by nanoFILM LTD, Cleverland, Ohio.

Cheers, William

Yes, I know all this. I have this cleaner myself, to clean my Zeiss anti-reflective coating lenses in my glasses. I emailed Zeiss a long time ago about it and they told me that although it can be used to clean photographic lenses, it wasn't designed to do it.

Mike.

Mike, I have always cleaned my Leitz and Zeiss multicoated lenses/filters over the past 45 years using Isopropyl alcohol with no negative effects whatsoever. (there are no cleaning marks or other indications that the lenses have been anything but clean).I did on one occasion(one only in 45 years!!) breakdown and buy Kodak Lens cleaner..guess what itis?
Just like gas line anti-freeze; just buy Methyl Hydrate and pocket the change!
Colin

> Good point. Also the cleaning liquid is only half the problem. The lens paper, how you wipe the glass, if you pre dust all are just as important as the cleaner. Pure Alcohol works great, just don't soak the glass! When I was in the biz, we would get customers who drowned their lenses to the point the dissolved some of the cement. Remember to add the solvent to the tissue or swab, not directly on the glass.

I noticed a Zeiss lens cleaning kit at B&H Photo that sells for $19.50, perhaps it is the same as the European kit? I found by Googling "Zeiss Lens Cleaning Kit."

Doug

To someone who has the Zeiss (whole cleaning) kit,

what does the label say the cleaner contains??

William

William:

Zeiss Lens Cleaning Set

The bottle shows-Optical Cleaning Mixture L

Contains hydrocarbons

Several safety warning graphics and a statement that it can cause lung damage if swallowed.

The instruction booklet states that the solution is

hydrocarbon base

Regards:

Gilbert

Back