DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

WE WANT Digital Back for the Nikon F5

> Hi Larry, I've already been advised that we need not compare a desktop computer's =20=

CPU with that of a Camera, however no detailed explanation was given =20 why the two kinds of processors are not complimentary to each other. =20 Just as a matter of curiosity does the Leica, Hasselberg, Kodak and the =20=

like models have supersonic speed processors when they were originally =20=

built?

I'm glad that you are gradually recognizing that it is certainly =20 possible for such a digiback-pack to be effected in the F5 if the =20 camera's processor's speed is an issue.

In response to some of Bob's contribution to the debate, I will say =20 this: I await Nikon's response and "I'll be back", it will therefore =20=

at the moment suffice to clarify the "new kit issue for the DX1", what =20=

I meant was the D1X power kit thing-an add-on to the D1X and perhaps I =20=

should add that my D100 has just undergone a firmware upgrade at Nikon =20=

UK!

Have a nice weekend Inno G Okorji i.okorji@deltaconsult.co.uk

Innocent

> Hi Larry, I've already been advised that we need not compare a
> desktop computer's CPU with that of a Camera, however no detailed
> explanation was given why the two kinds of processors are not
> complimentary to each other.

As I mentioned, many embedded processors are built on a similar core to that of desktop processors. They may have a dramatically reduced instruction set, operate at very low power consumption and the like. There are some that are built for the purpose and bear little resemblance to desktop chips.

However, just like desktop chips and all other digital devices they adhere to Moore’s Law and capability roughly doubles every 18 months. Since final design of the F5 closed roughly the end of 1995 or early 1996 and there has been no indication that newly designed electronics have been substituted during the production run, we can only assume that what was once the leading edge of technology is now seven or eight years out of date. I might add that the market for the more visible desktop CPUs is minuscule compared to the market for embedded technology – of which many people are unaware.

> Just as a matter of curiosity does the Leica, Hasselberg, Kodak
> and the like models have supersonic speed processors when
> they were originally built?

Certainly they will have the appropriate current technology as at the time they went into production. The Kodak 14n for ex&le was announced a year ago, but suffered intense birthing pains. When it was reviewed on Phil Askey’s DPReview site last May, it was up to Firmware Version 4.2.2 and barely on the shelves yet!!!! By September, they had done a hardware revision and were up to Firmware 4.4. Though the camera is now generally available, it may be still far from finished.

The Hasselblad H1 which is finally being shown as “in-stock†by some reliable stores, is supposed to have the most advanced photo-electronics of any camera on the market at present. It was purpose designed to be a film/digital hybrid. At one of the legit dealers in the USA, the digital backs are listed at $11,995.00US in addition to the camera, for a total of about $17,000US. Add another $895.00US if you want to shoot film as well – the price of a single magazine back.

I must confess that I have never had enough interest in the Leica SLRs to pay attention to new models. I used M3s and M5s on a number of dangerous assignments where I needed a camera that came across as very unaggressive. (I have an allergy to bullets that antihistamines doesn’t handle.) I would assume that the R8 and R9 are fairly new additions to the line, but know little about them. My Nikon F3 system has not been used in nearly four years, so I have even less interest in Leicas.

> I'm glad that you are gradually recognizing that it is certainly
> possible for such a digiback-pack to be effected in the F5 if the
> camera's processor's speed is an issue.

While it is POSSIBLE to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, it is not necessarily wise to do so.

It would be far wiser to build an entirely new model with the idea of a film/digital back from the “git-go†(as Texans are wont to say). I fear that with the compromises that would have to be made, it would end up as an uncompetitive kludge costing far more than anyone would care to pay.

> In response to some of Bob's contribution to the debate,
> I will say this: I await Nikon's response and "I'll be back", it
> will therefore at the moment suffice to clarify the "new kit
> issue for the DX1", what I meant was the D1X power kit
> thing-an add-on to the D1X

Could you provide a URL? I see nothing on Nikon’s web-site. I checked their press releases for the past year and see nothing there as well. It seems a bit odd, since the camera is due for replacement “real soon, nowâ€.

> and perhaps I should add that my D100 has just undergone a
> firmware upgrade at Nikon UK!

Standard procedure. I have only owned two digital cameras and did firmware upgrades on both myself, downloading from Nikon. See also Kodak 14n above. For a while it seemed that Kodak was releasing new firmware about every other day.

larry!

hello Digital friends,
I have up to now an E2 working just fine.
The next digital one would be the Kodak because I'll prefer full format.
My experience with a digital part for the N90S from Kodak weren't quite good, the sensor showed awful colors, always a magenta note which was not possible to get rid off by photoshop. I had to adjust the color for each single shot.
I heard that the Kodak 14n will be much better but I had to wait some years to get an affordabkle used one.
But if in the next 4 years Nikon will bring out a foll format digicam I will think about investing a lot of money. It wil certainly be much more expensive than th Kodak 14n.
Jochen from Old Germany

Larry, you may try this URL or select UK in the previous then navigate the DSLR banner. I hope this helps. However, it would appear that the D1X USA version already has the key features. Regards, Inno'

> http://www.europe-nikon.com/ > details.aspx?countryid=20&languageid=22&prodId=726&catId=91

I'd be happy to, but alas, this retarded system not only forces one to > perform arcane stunts to properly respond to a message - it also does not give the e-mail address of the sender as others (like Yahoo) do.

Bob,

this is not a retarded system - or is scrolling down asked too much?

The reason why we do not disclose e-mail addresses in the forum is spam protection for our users. I think everybody is happy here NOT to get spammed because of easy readable e-mail addresses like Yahoo and others
happy.gif

> well, Webmaster,or admin, or whatever your name happens to be - > perhaps you need to 'splain to all those folks who send blank > messages, of which there have been more than a few. The thing is, I > can't really blame them for not reading that far down the message and > noticing the funny v's and inverted v's...

Hi Everyone,
I'm sure my digiback c&aign for the F5 must have bored most of you but pls forgive me.
I wonder how many of you have read the Leica ad in the Pratical Photography mag of Sept 2004? Leica is lunching what they call Leica-Digital-Module-R which will allow you to exchange Leica R8 and R9 back from analogue to high res digi module. Switching the camera back is at will between analougue and high resolution digi photography . So it is possible afterall that a digiback for the F5 is practicable but presumably, it may not be as efficient as a 100% digi camera. I just can't part with my F5, I''ve spent so much money adding all the desirable peripherals which I'm quite happy with but why should the digi guys have that edge of speed and cost advantage? Should Fuji, Kodak, Ilford and others not help out with the costs of shooting with slides in particular?

On Saturday, October 11, 2003, Bob Fately (F8lee) wrote:

“… the F5 market is ever-shrinking …â€

Yes, and the Nikon pro market is also shrinking. More and more pros are abandoning their Nikons and converting to Canons.

On Sunday, October 12, 2003, Bob Fately (F8lee) wrote:

“…would you prefer a 'full frame' 24x36mm CCD in this miraculous digiback of yours?â€

Yes! Nikon better do something bold because those of us who are sitting on a large inventory of Nikon lenses will not wait much longer for Nikon to produce a digital back for our film cameras or a decent full-frame digital camera that accepts our old lenses. I thought the Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n would be the answer but it had too many problems to be a "decent" camera.

Dear friends,
the question of a full frame i.e. 24x36mm CCD or the like is central to my digiback c&aign, except Nikon has better ideas. The DX lenses means we should abandon such huge investment we've made on nikon lenses or suffer their near incompatibility with the digi cameras such as the d2h.

Well as I don't see nikon bending to the issue of a full frame digicamera or digiback for the F5, I have decided to join the flow of events by depositing a substantial amount of money for a d2h and hopefully, I will also be subscribing to the d2x whenever it shows up in the store. However I do not intend to give-up my F5 without a fight (with whom?) I just can't afford converting to Canon, 'cause I love Nikon so much!!

Back