DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2 Shutter Release Cable

"Can anyone tell me if the G1 and G2 use the same cable?"

according to the manual - yes

All Contax bodies can use electronic cable swicth L 100 (1mt)or 30 (30 cm).
So you can use both for contax reflex camera and G series.
Mecanichal can also be used only if the pressure is not to much hard.
PLS use a low pressure and it will work very well.
A hard pressure can damage the connection on camera.
Eugenio.

I have Contax G2 (with various lenses). With the 90 mm and the camera on a stable Gitzo tripod I would like to make bird pictures observing the scene from a shelter and with remote operation of the camera. The excellent quality of the camera in combination with the silent operation may work better than my other equipment (Minolta 9 with Minolta APO 400 and 600 mm lenses). But for this I need to be able to be some 5-10 meters away from the place where the objects will be present. So I have two questions:
1. Is there a wireless remote switch that can be used with the G2(like with the Minolta I now have)? If yes where can I buy it?
2. What is the longest remote "mechanical" switch and what is the name/code? Where would I be able to buy it in Holland?

Peter

Peter,

I received the following information directly from Contax (Kyocera Optics Inc.) Apparently there is a mechnical cable switch L-1000, which according to my rough calculations is about 30 feet. Perhaps this could work for you.

Cable switches for the manual focus AND G series

L-30 cat# 996359
L-100 cat# 996369
L-300 cat# 996379
L-1000 cat# 996389

Good luck,

Howard

With respect to Jeff, a standard cable release can destroy the internal of the remote socket. Many nice cameras had a trip to the Contax service department, because of their owners using standard cable releases. This (that it fits to begin with) is a really odd feature of the Contax SLRs (mm-mount) and the Contax G. Aparently they mended this on the N-SLR by making it obviously incompatible.

I am wondering why nobody send you a warning earlier.

With respect to Howard, the switches are electric, no mechanics involved.

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY is the problem with using a standard cable release on a G2? How are the Contax cable releases different?

Thanks!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm assuming the G2 requires the same remote shutter realease as the Contax SLRs, in which case it is electronic as opposed to mechanical, a mechanical (standard) type cable when operated pushes a metal plunger into the camera, operating the shutter. An electronic type closes an electrical circuit (with a switch on the end of an electrical cable) the camera then fires the shutter electronically. A mechanical cable release plugged into an electronic socket is not only not going to work, but is likely to break the socket as a metal plunger from the standard cable release is forced into the eletrical connector on the camera. Be careful to use the correct type!

Art

Art wrote:<<I'm assuming the G2 requires the same remote shutter realease as the Contax SLRs, in which case it is electronic as opposed to mechanical>>

Nope... I have BOTH the G2 and the N1. The N1 has an electronic release, and I have the electronic release cord for that. The G2 has a standard, threaded, mechanical release port that is completely different from the electronic port on the N1.

There is no way a mechanical release would work on the N1's electronic port, and conversely, no way the electronic release cord would attach to the G2.

So I'm still stumped. I've used a generic shutter release cord on my G2 with good results, have shot several rolls since using it (doesn't seem to have adversely affected my camera) and still don't have an answer as to why they say not to use a generic shutter release..

anybody have Kyocera's number so I can call them? My camera shop has no idea why you can't use a generic cord..they've been using one all along.

Really Confused.
Jeff

Jeff,
You can contact Kyocera as follows on go in contaxcameras.com and find the e-mail customer service contact

Contax
Kyocera Optics Inc.
2301-200 Cottontail Lane
Somerset, NJ 08873

Keep us informed what you learn.

Howard

Back