DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

hello

martin14

Hello everyone! Just joined as,some months ago I bought a second hand sigma sd14,with 18-50 EX Macro lens.could'nt afford new! Love it,sometimes the images are just superb,sometimes not.Think that's because I do not yet fully understand how to use it. So joined this forum to get some insight from other users. When I get it right,it's great! Wonderful light/shade capture of evening contrasts.Spent months researching cameras,the Sd14 offered the best image quality,with some limitations,,keep the iso low,get the exposure right.,,I read all the reviews! Started out many,many years ago with a zenith,that was a bit 'querky' too,but affordable,and capable of some great shots. Returning now to photography,after to long an absence.So Hello!

Martin14....I would love to see your shots...make sure that you always shoot RAW...then convert the image in SPP (Sigma Photo Pro)...

Good Luck...Tony C.:z04_cowboy:

Thanks Tony C. I do always shoot raw,love that xfill light control,get some very interesting,and strange effects. Can be handy to for 'proper' landscapes. I like the choice,minor changes for accurate representation of light effects,or surreal images when all the controls are pushed to their limits....its a bit like painting.Great fun! Will post images when I find out how,and have the courage to share my results! At the moment I'm having problems downloading images onto my pc.Works fine,but does'nt recognise previously uploaded images,so end up with multiple,repeated images.Do not really want to delete images from cf. Seems I have to update from 'vista' to windows 7. Thank you for replying to my first post.Greatly appreciated,Martin.

Martin...the easiest way I found to upload pictures is to create a new folder...I always use dates and places/people...ie Main folder - 09-28-2010...then sub folder with name ie...Subfolder - Christine...or Lake Jackson...then dump the pictures from the card to the folder...if I do updates...under the date folder I use Christine-edit or Lake Jackson-Edit.....helps to keep me organized...

I don't use the USB from camera to computer or the SPP software to upload photos...I have a USB card reader that I use to transfer the data from the CF card to the computer...

Keeps it easy and seems faster....if your USB reader's not working try uninstalling it and re-installing it...or get new one...there quite cheap now..

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Thanks Tony c,
That sounds helpfull.When you say 'folder' do you mean folder in computer,or folder in camera? I have my photos in folders on my computer. Yet to delve into the folder manager of the camera..but I will! Interesting info on the usb card reader,will certainly investigate that. My computer literate son, I'm not so computer literate,has mentioned that subject in the past. I'll give him a visit.So thanks for your help,greatly appreciate it. I'm sure the three of us will sort it! Great forum,glad I joined,
Martin.

Folder on Comptuer...I don't really mess with the folder manager on the camera...takes too long..

The USB Reader will help out a bunch..

Tony C.

Thanks for your help,but still having problems.Discovered card reader fitted to pc,much faster,but still still uploads all previously uploaded images. So still ending up with massive repeated images...I want to keep cf card as final 'back up' do'nt want to erase all previous images. There must be a way! Anyone else have the same problem? Or is it my pc?
Martin.

I'm copying images in old'n'good way:

* open card (or camera) in explorer (or similar; Total Commander actually, but that makes no difference),
* select all new images manually (I can look at last image number in my PC before :)) and
* copy to (newly created, if needed) folder on hard disk.

I've created even separate partition for sigma images :) And I've yet to delete any image on card / in camera - only formatting after taking about 200-300 images. Card lasts longer this way too.

But I just yesterday searched good camera image downloader program for my wifes Lumix - Windows Live Photo Gallery worked best, no duplicates or folder renaming or simlar problems. What I don't know - does it handle X3F files or not.

Thanks arvo. When I connect my camera,or cf card to computer the only option i get is windows photo gallery,small window,bottom r/h corner of screen. Always reads all,including previously uploaded images,Do'nt get any options.All or nothing. So import all,then delete previously uploaded images...Time consuming and tedious ! Note with interest your mention of 'windows live' Found it,and it does look different to 'windows photo gallery' Will give it a try,if I can pluck up the courage to install it. Rather new to computers,and overly wary! Wondered about buying 'lightroom' software, photoshop too expensive. Getting some great images from my sigma,but the more I take,the longer it takes to upload them,and I do want to keep the cf card as a record. Thanks for your help.I'll let you know how I get on.Any thoughts on 'lightroom' or any other software?
Martin.

Back