DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Choosing old primes vs using kit lens

Hi Robert,
have a look at this one too.
The split screens I had so far turned out to be to dim.
So I went back to the normal one and use the Pentax Eyecup.
I also have an older Canon Magnifier,which I use occasionally.
It gives a magnification of about 3x and only the centre of the viewfinder
is visual.It is hinge-mounted and flapped down when needed.
Regards
Uwe

Thank you Uwe,

I followed up with the magnification eye piece O-ME53

are you able to use your eyeglasses with this?

On the split screens, I have heard that an inherent problem with them is dimness. Have the ones you tried that were too dim, the same as this? -> http://shop.ebay.com/sigma sd14 spl...sid=m38&_nkw=sigma+sd14+split+focusing&_naf=1 (I am interested in this)

My experience with the sd14 on board dioptic maginifier is that it is not strong enough correction that I can depart from my eyeglasses. I have much difficulty focusing.

I have noticed that Jes, Klaus and Jim appear to own the eyepiece and also where eyeglasses. I am interested in knowing if you (or any with this experience) can focus the camera manually, without your glasses and the added eye magnifier? And if adding it, enabled you to focus manually with/without your glasses? My intention is to get information in regards to focusing the SD14 without glasses by adding the magnifier.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Robert,

Yes, I have the O-ME53 eye piece and I don't have any problem using it with glasses. I do have to look around a bit to see the data on the bottom of the screen, but it's not any problem. I find it does help with manual focus

Without my thick prescription glasses, there is little hope of me seeing anything through the viewfinder (with or without the O-ME53). I wish I could, but I don't think there is a practical solution for my eyes, however.

Jesse

Hi Robert,
yes I can use my glasses when using the Pentax eyecup.
I must say I wear tri-focal glasses,designed to my needs.
There is one lower section for fine work and reading,
a small middle section to work on the computer screens,
and the upper section for driving ect.
The sections have a sharp transition.
I had glasses before with a fluent passage,but could not get used to it.
In the beginnig with the SD9 I used a PRAKTICA Eyecup,about 6cm diameter.
The good thing was that a lens cuold be inserted into this eyecup.
So I had my local optician to make / cut a lense of +3 dioptries for that.
This 6cm eyecup covers my eye completely,so no light from the side interferes.
And it is big enough to see the viewfinder in total.
Regards
Uwe

Hi Jesse,

That is useful info, I am in the same boat, I can only see the edges one at a time. It is because of the glasses, but without them I can not compose a shot. I do want to find a way to manual focus, and this product does seem worth a try.

As of yesterday I was looking at a split focusing screen on ebay for the sd14. Today it is gone.

Its reassuring to hear that this product successfully aides in manual focusing. :)

Thank you;

Hi Uwe,

Thank you also! This is useful as I said to Jesse. My glasses are similar. Progressive bifocals with prisms. I have been relying on focus confirmation, but with some lens (70-200 and the 150-500 with 1.4x TC) it seems that I am maybe starting to see a pattern of the focus point being off. More of a pattern with the 70-200. The 150-500 may just be an the length with the TC. And use a mono pod for the shots. The pattern that I see looks like what I have heard of as a front focus issue. Will need much further evaluation.

So this aide we discuss will be a step in the right direction. First I will need more confidence in what I am seeing, as far as what I *think* I am focusing on. :)

And thank you for mentioning the side light issue that is resolved, as this is another hinderence for me to see the information in the viewfinder, as my glasses allow too much light to enter from the side.

Also, sorry for posting the link that the product is gone for. As of yesterday I was looking at it. I was hesitant to post it, but then did.

What I gather from you posts is that the split focusing screens are just too dim to be practical?? this is a disappoint, as I was really having my heart set on using them. As it was how I shot with my film 35mm for many years. (Old habits die hard) :)

thanks again,

Robert

Spilt screen

Hi Robert

Several users (on another forum) have bought the chinese split screen, only to find out it was a waste of money. I have not tested it myself. I cannot recall a single user claiming that it is good, or even usable.

I'm planning to get a magnifier. (Hmm, I think I have Nikon magnifier somewhere...)

We could of course all send a mail to Katz, to try to convince them to produce a spilt screen for the SD14 /15.

kind regards
Øyvind

Thank you Øyvind, that it was too dim was the impression I got by looking at the ebay thing. Mostly because I get this feeling, because I thought that if it were good, the users of this forum would already have been using it. I am glad I waited not to buy it, as of yesterday it is gone off of the ebay seller.

Likewise, due to the good advice I hear about the magnifier, it is probably the same route I am going to take.... just now sure when but I hope to make up my purchase before summer gets too far underway.

thanks again, and good luck with your purchase if you so decide,

Robert

ps. that is an interesting idea to proposition Katz :) I am sure we will like it too for our SD15's

Back