DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Fuji Astia 100F

mohican

Just wondering, did any of you try Fuji Astia 100F? I'm trying to figure out how Fuji positions this film, is it a potential replacement to Provia or it's a slide equivalent of Reala with excellent sharpness, color rendition and very fine grain? I'm just a little puzzled as to what this film is designed to be good at. Strictly speaking, one of the things I never liked in Provia was that "pepper grain" that I see, especially bothersome in brighter areas. I don't quite know how to explain this and whether it's something with Provia or combination of factors. You can see it here also

http://www.photographical.net/minolta_pro_more.html#pepper

And I actually have seen something that looks very close to that, but through a microscope, not scanner. And on 135 film.

Anyway, how is that new Astia 100F compared to Provia 100F and Kodak E100G (in 135 format, since it's the only one I'm concerned about)? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks!

Astia is a lower contrast (softer ) film than Provia with less saturated colours. It is also more sympathetic to flesh tones. In a commercial studio Provia may well be used for products and Astia for people.
317766.jpg

Trevor,

You're quite a chatterbox, first post in 2 years
happy.gif

I take it this picture was taken with Astia? Appears to look good, even on LCD screen.

How about using it outdoors? I like documentary-style photography more than anything else, so I prefer everything to look exactly as I saw it (hence why I rarely use Velvia). So, if you say Astia is less saturated, I wonder if it looks more realistic?

I have used Astia for Garden Photography for a Client and the results were very well received. I have also used it for Fashon Photography and for a somewhat relaxed image it works well . And yes the images are Astia.
317771.jpg

Got it. I guess I will have to give it a shot then.
Let's say you're going on a trip and you don't know what your subjects are going to be like and in which conditions, which film would you take with you - Astia or Provia?

Also, I wonder if you used Astia in 135 format or mostly medium format?

Thanks!

I would take Astia.  I like the way it looks more...seems more natuaral especially on skintones.  Hell take a couple rolls of both.

Astia`s relativly low contrast works well for interiors too. I tend to use it were I want a subtle rendition without the punch of some other emulsions. If the shooting conditions are low contrast I will revert to Provia or be prepared to do some work in Photoshoop. The emulsion works well in all formats and although most of my work is medium format I use it for 35mm . Fundamentally its Fuji`s people film with more sympathetic flesh rendition.
323837.jpg

Eight flash heads? Remotely triggered I imagine? That's quite a setup, I guess it was a paid gig, otherwise I can't imagine why would you go through so much hassle for this shot.

Back