DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Filter for Zeiss N 24-85/3.5-4.5

G

I am thinking about to get some poloraliser and softforcus filter for the my N, yet because of the large diameter of the lenses, it is very very expensive.Anyone one have some suggestion on a good filter brand with good price? (and will fit the N-24-85)
Ben

I will add just for the record that the Cokin P-system does not work with the VS N 24-85/3.5-4.5. At the wide end the filter holder cause vignetting. Even with a modified holder with 2 slots cut off, vignetting occur. The 82mm adapter ring is slightly thicker compared to other cokin adapter rings. A polariser in the Cokin-system will cause severe vignetting. The 82mm adapter ring does not vignette by itself, so I expect a regular 82mm pol-filter would work (have not tested that).

Lee-system with 82mm WA-adapter does not either work because of the bayonet for the lens hood. I have not used a standard Lee-adapter ring.

If you intend to use the VS N 24-85mm for landscape and use ND-grads, the best way is handhold them in front of the lens.

Good brands for screw in filters are HOYA and B&W. In the swedish photomagazine FOTO they MTF tested lenses with and wthout filters. The glass filters did not decrease the image sharpness at all, but plastic ND-grads did.

I have used the regular Hoya PL circular filter for the N 24-85mm zoom. It works well as long as that is the only filter on the lens. If you have a P (or UV) filter, make sure you remove it first. Thin filter from B&W is very expensive.

the polariser from B&W is two times more then HOYA and yet the contax polariser is two time more then B&W which cost about USD 200 (USD 51 for HOYA)in Hong Kong.....can somebody tell me is that worth?!

Ben

I think that B + W is as good as you're going to get.
Brass mounts and top quality glass..made in W.Germany
I don't know why Jap Contax are so expensive. Paying for name I suppose.
Colin

Japan Contax UV filter is better than B&W.I was using B&W filters and I regularly get flare affecting the prints.Japan Contax filter has not got this problem,or at least I have not met yet.If you look at the filters under the light,J.Contax has less reflection of the light compared with the B&W which is the basis why you get more flare with B&W.Joseph

B&W offers several different type of filters, some with multi-coating and some don't and they price them with big difference. My own experience is B&W certainly is top quality filter, at least as good as Contax brand.

Brgds/Kaisern

> Just a general comment regarding filters, and polarising filters in particular. Contax, B&W, Hoya and many other makers have differnent models of the same filter that use either mono or multi coatings to defeat reflection/flare. In my experience with both Contax and Hoya filters, there is no doubt that the multi-coated models are far superior. With polarising filters, if you lay several ex&les of filter from different (and sometimes even the same!) manufacturer on a piece of white paper, you will find that their colour balance varties quite considerably. I know they are all supposed to be neutral density grey but this is rarely the case. Some have quite distinct colour casts and even though some manufacturers offer polarisers that are intended to be either warm or cool, many other variations are simply lack of care in the manufacturing process. Caveat Emptor. I believe that the, Hoya, B&W and Contax filters are all excellent and don't feel the need to spend the extra money for one over any other. Objective tests of polariser colour balance and image sharpness with biffering qualities of filters have previously published in (I think) Photo Techniques magazine. The illustarted the variety iof colour balances I referred to above and also concluded there was no discernible difference in the sharpness of prints made in controlled circumstances. As a final comment, I believe that the only quality difference you will note is the resistance to flare of the MC filters and the additional colur saturation that delivers to both negatives and slides. That quality is definitely worth the money, whatever the brand. Regards,

Back