DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G 16mm HOLOGON Lens

Voigtlander lenses 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 asph are originaly made in screw in mounts to fit leica or bessa camers. There is a company in Munich called Zoerk that takes those lenses and modifies them so you can use them on Contax g2. You focus using scale ( just like you would focus a hologon or any manual focus lens). You frame the shot using supplied external viewfinder ( just like you would with Hologon). Since on any of these lenses rear element sticks out too much, external meter is used for exposure, so the reading will be the same with all the lenses.

Now I see no reason to get Zoerk converted lens. It cost twice as much as you would get a second body and a lens from Voigtlander. I did as I mentioned in previous email get a body and lens for $430 and i love it. When few years back I used 12 and 15 side by sice 12 had a much bigger fall off so i settled for 15. Only disadvantage that you may have with Voigt. lenses is that there are no center filters available for them, so fall off can't be corrected in any circumstances. And of course body of the camera is not AE or motordrived.

Matt

Do Zoerk produce an adaptor for the Voigtlander lens to G2 or does the lens actually have to be sent to Zoerk so they can adapt it?

You said you focus using the focus reading from the G2 for both the VL and Contax hologon, so am I right in thinking the hologon is not autofocus? Is the Contax biogon 21mm autofocus?

You also mentioned that an external meter is required for the vl lens and the hologon. Can the G2 not accurately judge exposure TTL as I'm not fond of the idea of using an external meter.

Cheers, James.

There is no adaptor. Entire lens is modified by Zoerk. You can send them your lens for modification or you can buy one that was already modified.

Yes Hologon is not AF lens. Biogon is AF.

G2 has two meters build in. One is ttl and one is external. TTL is a small sensor that drops from the inside of the camera and gives you the exposure. Since on Hologon rear element sticks out to much to the back, meter can't drop. So you need to use the external build in meter. Camera automaticall switches between those two. When you look at your g2 you will see a small round window on the left hand side. That's your external meter.

Matt

To be exact. IF you go to features section of G2 on Contax website and select front view of the camera you will get an interactive page. You can find the external meter there. It's off center to the left on top of the focusing window.

Matt

http://www.contaxcameras.com

Here's a s&le of my first photos with the 16 Hologon. The gradation filter was in place, but all the photos I took Sunday seem to have the same vignetting problem. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm quite disappointed with the light falloff toward the edges of the photo. Anyone have any similar experience?
96523.jpg

Contax Bullshit G Users

I am realy disapointet about the G system, yes the lenses are superb exept the G 16mm Hologon seems to be a failure (too expensive and aperture 8 with centerfilter 16 only for Sunny days)
I wonder how Contax justify the 2000 US Dollar Price for the Hologon.
Voigtländer made a 15mm wide angle for under $500.
Contax G Cameras are also not soo high Quality for the Price i payed for a brandnew G equipment. The resale value of a new G System shows us the system wasnt a goodbuy.
Today i woud probably go for a Voigtländer.

> The G16 price has come down considerably in the last year or so.=20

The last i heard it is selling at around US$900 in Hong Kong.

At one point it was even less than this.

For comparsion the G21 is selling around US$550 in HK as well.

For this kind of price they are really a bargain.

I also hear from this big difference in Pricing. In HK you pay US $900.- for a Hologon. By a Contax dealer in Europ you pay 2500.- Dollar.
Please tell me were i could get one of the Hologon for 900 Dollar.

> Try >

The G16 is listed at US$910.00. They ship worldwide. Never tried them but heard from other users they are honest merchants.

Obviously if you are shopping directly in HK you will get slightly better price.

Back