DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

sclamb

As some of you may remember, especailly if you belong to the other Contax group, I wrote of the 100mm f/2.8 Makro Sonnar before anyone else knew it existed (and even argued with those who said it wold be a Planar design!) I also wrote of the 400mm f/4 Tele Apo before anyone else and yes it materialised.

Well, here's a new one for you all. There will be a new Contax digital offering, probably around the D10 price point (and I think N-mount compatible) at the end of this year. My source says it will be announced at Photokina 2003 and in the shops by year-end.

Now my source has always been right. However, I have had this verified by another source. If anyone wants to take a private wager, I am open to taking you money so email me privately.

Remember, you saw it here first!

Simon

Wow, an N-mount Contax DSLR under $1500?! You make me drool, Simon!
happy.gif

Ummm, BTW, you mean Canon 10D by "D10," right? Or is this a new Nikon offering that comes after D1X?

simon, would i be able to get a trade in for my ND, pls check with your sources (i am not kidding), any more details?=20

I hope you are right. I love my G system but the appeal of digital is almost irresistable. I want to stay with Contax but their first foray into this media was not a success.

Simon, if I remember correctly, Photokina is every other year so there is no 2003. But anyway, do you have any info on the chip size as wide angles are my favorite lenses?

Jim Hully Boston, MA

Taylor Kim,

Oops, yes I do mean the 10D not D10!!!

Mehrdad,

I will ask but it may well be too ealry to get any sensible answer. That said, I doubt you would get any better trade in than you would get from a dealer, and that won't be much for a discontinued model.

Simon

I agree with Jim. I am not going to jump for Contax; it has to be an excellent product. I want any new D-camera to be independently tested to evaluate its quality before I jump in. The competition for DSLR camera is keen and by the end of the year there may be a greater selection. On another forum, I heard Nikon will upgrading or replacing their DSLR's. Olympus has announced a new 4/3 DSLR. Pentax has a small "ish" camera. Choice is growing, prices are coming down and quality will be rising, full frame sensors for many cameras may be here soon, lenses are being redesigned to work better with sensors.

If Contax will not come out with a digital for G lenses and I must invest in new lenses, I will review all the competition to get what best suits me. As much as I love my G2, I am not married to Contax. Contax will have to win my business by providing a superior product at a competitive price.

Howard

Jim

Hmm, there is no Photokina but I definitely was told that the announcement would be around September and that the release to the market would be around Xmas time. This is information I am getting in the UK so there may be announcements in other parts of the world at different times.

There will also be a dedicated Contax showroom in London towards the end of this year which wil have everything Contax in it.

I do not have any specs as yet but I am sure over the next few weeks I will get some! ;-)

Simon

I've been relatively quiet since my comment back on Thanksgiving about the ND being discontinued - (which turned out to be true)- and from what I'm hearing now Simon is truly preparing to take sucker bets (I'm hearing $1500-$1600).

Ken

(Why did I get mad and dump all my N equipment at bargain prices? One should never lose their temper over something that can be so stimulating - I'll keep that in mind in retrospect of this website and the recent sequence of events herein)

We heard about different rumours, but also with different timetables. What we "heard" is that at the next PMA, which would be spring next year, a Contax N model would be presented with a new chip.

I would be surprised if Kyocera would achieve this time to hit with a new product the shelves BEFORE christmas. I can not remember anymore when this hapened last time
happy.gif

But we heard also many other rumours about Contax and other Zeiss-partners. But as long as we have not a stronger confirmation, we do not want to heaten up the internet world with this. Kyocera pßlanned so many things but then did not deliver, taht we were getting very cautious. But it will be definitely a hot year of announcements.

As a Zeiss fan - and that is why we all use Contax, isn't it - I would watch very close the news section over the next 2 weeks. And I would also look closer to the non-traditional camera-brand-names
happy.gif

Dirk

All I can say is, any news on the N-lens digital front will always be good news in my book
happy.gif
. Hmm - is Zeiss going to be making bodies? You know what they say - if you want something done right, do it yourself ...

Bring it on!

DJ

Back