DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica FRII FRI

jordi eres lo maximo,esa es la respuesta para aquel= la persona que le venden una fr,si saca la cubierta superior se va a encontr= ar con el contador,es un disco de aluminio que tiene impreso los numeros y e= n el eje hay una suerte de tuerca que despues de 30 años debe haberse sol= tado y ya no engrana con el mecanismo de avance ,a mi esto me ocurrio mas de u= na vez dentro de estos treinta años.

si la abre debe aprovechar de revisar el estado de los engranajes en el mecanismo de avance de pelicula,estos son plasticos y se deterioran con facilidad si la camara es prestada aun amigo.

suerte.

francisco

Helo Jordi,

I must say that your English is as good or better than a lot of native English speakers that I encounter, right down to your grammer and sentence structure. Your modesty is misplaced!

Paul

I agree....Thanks for your help Joan.

And now on to Fransisco's next message.

How is Babelfish doing on this one, Joan?

"jordi you are maximo, that is the answer for that person who sells one to him fr, if she removes the upper deck is going away to find with the accountant, is an aluminum disc that has form the numeros and in the axis there is a nut type who despues of 30 years must have loosen and no longer ocurrio but of once within these thirty years gears with the mechanism of advance,a my this me. if it opens must take advantage of to review it the state of the gears in the mechanism of advance of pelicula, these are plasticos and they are deteriorated with facility if camara is even lent friend. luck. Francisco "

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks to all for your praises. I'll try to translate Francisco's post:
"Jordi you are briliant , this is the answer for the person who is acquiring a FR, if he removes the upper deck he can find the counter. Is an aluminum disc with the numbers printed on.In the axis is a nut that after 30 years can come loose an don't gear with the advance mechanism. That has me occurred once during this 30 years.

If you open the camera you can review the state of the film advance mechanism gears. There are made of plastic and can be easily damaged if the camera is lended to a friend.

Good luck. Francisco".

The referred post is the Adam Fletcher's October, 1st. I think. Is it true, Francisco?

Referred the Francisco's film advance mechanism, I have an FX-3 that had the same problem. After 15 years and hundreds of burned film rolls, the advance mechanism was broke down. After a repair, the camera works fine again without any other problem.

Muchas gracias, Joan and Francisco

Better than Babelfish!

Of the half-dozen FR types I've opened up with Frame counter problems, all of them have been due to either a slipping gear on the shaft, or, a broken nylon transfer gear! The gear is very small and is very thin at the bottom of each tooth, so is very easy to snap at any of the tooth bottom points.

Fransisco's message is very useful....even though I haven't come across a lose screw on the dial counter.... I'll watch out for that!

Cheers, Bob.

Hi, All my FR counter problems were with the nylon gear that ages, splits and slips on the shaft. These gears assemblies are so rare that it's safe to say that there aren't any left. If you find one, it's also old and the life of it may be short. If a machinist made a brass one it'll last forever. If anyone find this please let us all know! Jeff

Hello again all,

Having missed out on several auctions for FR1s (hate those last-minute bidding frenzies!) I am considering an FX-1 instead. However, I like my cameras to operate smoothly and quietly (one day I plan to buy an RX). Would I be much better served in this regard by an FR1? Also what is the deal with the focussing of the FX-1? I hear there is no split-image rangefinder (which might be ok, because I am used to my AF Minolta which doesn't have one either). I have considered the FX-3 and derivatives but I don't like the sound of the plastic bodies and questionable d&ing....

Thanks, Adam F

Posted by Jeff Lorriman (Jeff) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 12:20 am:

Hi, All my FR counter problems were with the nylon gear that ages, splits and slips on the shaft. These gears assemblies are so rare that it's safe to say that there aren't any left. If you find one, it's also old and the life of it may be short. If a machinist made a brass one it'll last forever. If anyone find this please let us all know! Jeff === Maybe the Boston Gear Catalog has something that will fit.

DAW

(QUOTING JEFF) If a machinist made a brass > one it'll last forever. If anyone find this please let us all know! (END QUOTE)

Hey, I found something on another discussion list. I DO NOT have personal experience with this repairman but it is worth considering. Maybe he could make these tiny parts?

(quoting another message from photo.net) Frank Marshman at CameraWiz in Harrisonburg, VA always does a great job at a reasonable price in my experience, he can machine new parts when necessary, and he's always willing to take a second look if you think that the repair isn't quite right. I've sent him many classic Bronica items, my Voigtlander Vitessa-L and Perkeo II, and a few other things, and I gather from Michael A. Smith that he's really good with Ilex shutters as well. His number is 1-800-471-8133. (end quote)

Link to the full thread I quoted: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0060zw

If anyone finds out more, please post back to the group. It could be universally helpful. -Lynn L.

Back