DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film recomendations which film should i use

Noel and Steve,

I was going to say the same thing. For Chrome films, Fuji Prove 100F is my primary choice. Although I most do studio shoots in 4x5 formats with this film. I sometime use Kodak E100VS if I want very saturated color.

The Prove has very large latitude, you can shot, in paper, up to 128 secs without color shift and reciprocity failure (where you need to compensate exposure time). I am not aware of any Kodak chrome films can match that. (I have not checked out the new E100g and E100gx though).

Some people may not aware that the Prove 100F actually is more fine grain than the Velvia 50. And with the Prove 100F, you can push 2 stops or pull 1 stop without color shift (contrast will be affected though). But the Velvia can only be push 1 stop and pull 1/2 stop, not very forgiving. I can't wait to check out the new Velvia 100 coming to the market soon.

Albert

If you print T400Cn on B&W paper, you will not have the Brown/Blue color cast. I've been told the problem exsists becasue the printer does not know how to print properly with T400CN negatives.

Printing machines must be claibrated to print each film/paper combination. A lot of labs do not maintain proper process controls. This is why results may not be consistant or poor.

I just shot my first roll of T400CN and had it printed on Kodak Royal color paper with excellent results. Good clean whites, dense blacks and a great grey scale. They hgave a program in their printer for this combination and do a lot of printing for professionals.

I am pleased to know you like the Provia. I am trying this film now, as reccommended by the lab. If I like it I will probably buy 100 rolls as the lab can get me a good price on that quantity.

Thanks Albert, i think i've seen portra here somewere, if i can find it, i'll try it.
(Too bad i just bought a 40 pack of T400, OPS!)

I've been shooting color prints using reala but after having shot some disappointing pics in Vancouver (perhaps b/c overcast?) I want to know what is a good alternative film that is saturated and good in available light since I do not use flash. I still love reala for sunny days, but those low light situations do not d it justice.

Rick,

I would highly recommend Kodak's Portra 400UC. I normally would rate this @320. The grain is as good as advertised; could rival a lot of 100 ISO films. Give it a try, I think you will like it.

Rick,

I have also heard about good results with the Kodak Portra 400. Here in Austria (and as far as I know also in Germany) it is called Kodak Professional Portra 400 BW and is developed in C-41 Color Processors.
I intend to try it out next week.
If anyone has any experience with this film, please let me know.

it is called Kodak> Professional Portra 400 BW and is developed in C-41 Color Processors.> I intend to try it out next week.> If anyone has any experience with this film, please let me know.

I use this stuff quite a bit , it is a very good film with decent contrast for a C-41 emulsion . It also scans very nicely which is important to me as a I print digitally . Steve

> [

Maybe someone can help me with an advice. I was happy with Kodachrome 64 and 200. What do you think the best available product I can use, now that Kodack has stopped producing it ?

thanks for any suggestion...

]

I had also heard very good things about Portra BW. I used it recently and compared it to Ilford XP2 Super (not formal testing, I was just using the G2 with the 21mm for all the pictures during a recent trip to Spain and Portugal). I was curious about chromogenic films. Both films were processed by the same lab in the same batch. Afterwards, I scanned with the Canoscan 4000US using Vuescan.
This may be a significant source of variation, as the films have different colored masks (XP2 looks grey and Portra looks orange).
The scans from XP2 turned out with a wider range of gray (when you check the histograms in Photoshop). Both films are very sharp, and have very fine grain.
Actually, Portra seems to have almost no grain, which (and I never thought I would say this) I actually miss. I like XP2 better (and XP2 is half the price here in the US!).

Back