DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News from Zeiss on Wednesday

A ZF 35mm F2, exists such a lens in the C/Y lineup? Isn't the lens big for a 35mm F2, maybe it is a telecentric lens design. Can a Distagon design be telecentric?

>Hey, Ugo,
>
> Did I send you the silicone rubber ?
> Did you use it ? Any comments ?
>
> Joseph

Oups, sorry ... I forget to tell you "THANKS"!

Yes, I received it and installed on my Contax 159MM. Now seems to be another camera!
Before to use it I tried to going around searching something similar without success.

Thanks again Joseph!

Ugo (Ulisse for Forum)

>Joseph,

The only film Nikon with mirror lock are the Fs such as F5, F6 The high end DSLR bodies have it too

And by the way, what about the Aria? IMO, the Aria has less vibration above about 1/125 sec than the RTS III even with the mirror locked up. Of course at 1/4 sec the story is different

Dave

Yes the cine lenses are just associative PR. Just read the copy.

Looks like a 50/1.4, 85/1.4, a f/2 Makro, and a 28/2 to me (I hope).

50/1.4 I sort of understand. The 85/1.4 I don't get as the Nikon 85/1.4 is pretty good ... at least good enough that I wouldn't sacrifice AF for the marginal performance improvement of a Zeiss version (Nikon owners love their 85/1.4s) Makro I understand. 35/2 I don't. But if it's a 28/2 that's as well corrected as the old one and focuses as close, then I do get why Ziess would offer that lens in a ZF mount.

They should have offered the 21/2.8 which murders the Nikon 20/2.8 and is even better than the Nikon 18/2.8 ASPH ( wides are what are desperately needed by Nikon DSLR users because of the 1.5X crop factor) , 28/2 like the old one, A 50/1.4 ASPH, 85/1.2 ... or 100/2 ASPH that performs like the Leica 90/2, for a start.

Zeiss should have gone all the way. Those that want the best are willing to pay for it. If you don't believe me just look at the selling prices for a 21/2.8 or 85/1.2 C/Y optics ... snatched up by people who are using them with stop down metering.

Hi David,

I have Aria. To me, it is a lovely camera. However, I always worried about its mirror. The mirror is attached to a thick plastic flaps and to me I always wonder why they choose this thick flap. RX, AX and RTSIII are different, the mirror flaps are thin and light.

How about the Nikons ? Do they have thin flaps ? Do they have well d&ened mirrors ?

Patrik,

This is definitely a Distagon as it have the word written on it.

419317.jpg

What do you mean by telecentric ?

Zeiss gave the name distagon to all 35mm wide angle lens except G16 which is called Hologon.

In the C-Ys, there are two primes 35 2.8, 35 1.4. This new ZF 35 2 has the size between these two lenses.

It does make sense to have a 35mm because the first wide angle of a series is of course a 35mm.

Hi Ugo,

Do you believe that the silicone rubber is better than the sponge to d&en the mirror ?

Joseph

I am checking the f22 position at infinity of different lenses

CY 35 2.8 at 1.3
CY 35 1.4 no f22 marking

Leica 35 2.8 between 1.5 and 2 in middle

Zeiss Ikon 35 2 between 1.5 and 2 in middle

CY 28 2.8 between 1 and 0.6
CY 28 2 between 1 and 0.6

CY 25 2.8 between 1 and 0.6

new distagon between 1 and 1.5

I have to draw the conclusion that the new lens is most likely to be 35 2

It is also interesting to find out as well that the 35mm lenses have inconsistent markings of f22.

Back