DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Help needed when using Sigma 120-400mm on a Canon 550D

Ryedo

Hi all,

While I'm pleased with some of the results I've had, most shots seem to be a little out of focus or too soft (even at around 300mm). I'm a little disappointed because I currently achieve sharper results using my Fuji HS10 bridge camera.

Would be grateful for any advice on aperture, metering, focusing & OS modes when using this lens for photographing birds around feeders & amongst branches. THX.

No reply? OK. Since keeping my aperture at around F8, and using middle AF point, the sharpness has improved. However, I've noticed another problem: many of the images suffer from 'nisan bokeh'.

Does anyone have any advise on how to limit this problem?

Ryedo....you probably need to send the lens to Sigma and have them Spec it out...let them know what you are using and that things seem soft...you probably have a a front focus issue...my 80-400 suffered from this...and gave me the Bokeh you are mentioning....If you don't want to send it to Sigma...take it to a local camera shop...to get it adjusted...

On the Nisan Bokeh...you really can't get rid of it...you can limit it...like above...once the lens gets spec'd out...this should be corrected too...it was explained by the Sigma tech...that something with the way the light is going thru the lens and since the lens is not adjusted properly...you get this affect..

Good Luck.... Tony C.

THX for the reply tc95.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I think I've solved the problem. I was using a Jessops UV filter to protect the lens. Since removing the filter, the bokeh is altogether smoother and the nisen bokeh is less prominent - if at all. My images also seem sharper.

Cool...I don't use filters when I shoot...I carry the camera's with them..but I do not shoot with them...Did not even occur to me to tell you that...Sorry...

Tony C.

Back