DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Unexpected movement in photo problem

melvin

Please take a look at these photographs. These are cropped from the same slide. The one of the snow crest (see the small photo) shows that it was partially moved. This photo was published as a spread in a US magazine. On this spread I saw that a part of the slide was not clearly sharp. In fact it looks like the slide was partially moved during the exposure time. The rest of this slide is sharp and doesn't show this problem. Or was the snowcrest just moving? Not possible!
Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Photo taken with RX and tripod with zeiss 300/4 on velvia 50.

Thanks very much.

Melvin www.melvinredeker.com

194770.jpg
194771.jpg

Melvin,

You're clearly an alpinist, so no doubt you've considered this, but snowcrests can slump. The crop is too small for me to make out whether that might be what's happening, but it's a possibility.
-- Will

Hi Melvin,

I can see the anomoly on both crops, albeit, the smaller crop just barely shows it as it is too far away. I think it is blowing snow coming from over the far side of the ridge--that is why it looks out of focus--it is moving. In the big picture it is just too small to see.

Ron Walton

My first thought was a shift in air temp resulting in the problem. I've had similar problems doing aerial photos shooting thought very cold air but that looks different
Second thought it the lens isn't totally square to the film plain or the film isn't totally flat. Since hyper focal should rule out focusing errors and you used a tripod I would look at mechanical problems first

My first thought was ..... is there anything wrong with the slide at all?
happy.gif

Seriously .... what I mean is .... is the effect ON the slide or just on the SCAN of the slide? I'm sure you can see what I am getting at!

If you can see the effect you are worried about on the original slide, by inspecting it via a loupe, then we have a base to start interrogating the possible cause.

How about anything from slide "popping" in a scanner to water droplet/partial fogging on the front element/filter of the lens at exposure time!

Tell us more Melvin!

Love your website .... Kyocera Kid.

Yes, the effect is visible on the original slide. It is not due to bad scanning.

It might be because of the film plane was not totally flat.

Thanks,
Melvin

Thanks, Melvin.

I have wondered about this before!

You have a lot more experience about the effects of cold on film than the majority of us, I suspect! But I wondered if it is significant that the curling effect of film inside its cassette is made much worse under cold conditions. Is it likely that cold film will be less flat when it moves to the exposure position behind the shutter? And could it actually move (i.e. start to flatten) during the exposure? Have you ever noticed this effect before on other shots?

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Back