DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New lense vs teleconvertors vs using a macro as a normal lense

G

Hi Folks,

I still have a delima on what lense to get next. I currently have a Planar 50/1.4 and would like to get a short telephoto lenses. Not having very much money to play with it means that I'm looking at getting a used lense. My main goal is to use the lense for head-shots in environments as well as landscape. I like shooting people wide open for minimising the depth-of-field.

Now I think ideally the Planar 100/2.0 would be a nice lense %). Unfortunately they seem to be rare and expensive when they come up for sale on the used market.

This leaves me looking at the ubiquteous Planar 85/1.4 or the Sonnar 85/2.8. Which of these is these is the better performer wide open? at 2.8? Or stopped down? Not related to my decision, but I did wonder why the Sonnar 135/2.8 is significantly cheaper than both 85s?

Being someone who doesn't like following the same path as everyone else I reassed my choices. It seems that I have a couple of alternatives. Firstly I could get a Mutar I and turn my 50/1.4 into a 100/2.8. Alternatively I could find a Macro Planar 100/2.8.

Not knowing much about teleconvertors, beyond the specification change in focal length and (wide open) aperture; what happens to the depth of field with a teleconvertor? Does the depth of field remain the same as without the convertor?

My other choice is to use a Macro Planar 100/2.8. I am not likely to use the Macro aspect of the lense, so this might seem like a waste (sort of like buying a Porsche 911 with back seats %). Some of the reviews of this lense say that it is optimised for short focus and the infinity focus suffers. Now I got to admit that this statement stumped me as surely both focus distance use the same glass elements to make the image. So is the reviewer correct? And if so how is this possible.

I would be interested in getting other peoples opinions on my delema.

Cheers,

Mark -%)

Mark,
When I bought my Contax RTS with 50mm 1.4 in 1978 (gasp, 25 years ago <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• a teleconverter until I could save money for a second lens (short-tele). The teleconverter I used 20 years ago was not very good 9Tamron 4 element) and I was not happy with the results.
After 3 or 4 years I bought a used 85 1.4, and I love having the extra stops to use available light (and yes, as everybody says it is a great lens). I find it somewhat too "short", however.
Of the options you mention, I would say the most "bang for the buck" is the 135mm 2.8. It is said to be excellent, and it is relatively inexpensive (particularly when compared to the 100 f:2 and the Makro-Planar), and if you like the focal length it is a very good deal .
Many people don't like 135mm because they think is too long; 100 or 105 has become more standard "portrait lens" focal length. I actually like it better (as all around people + landscapes) than 85.

Juan

Mark,
I feel you should also consider the 85/2.8.
Not too much for a used lens (I bought mine for US$240), better depth of field than the 135.
William

William, Just a technical point. All lenses have the same depth of field. People often talk (erroneously)about "sharp"wideangle lenses due to the apparent large dof. DOF is a product of reproduction ratio, not focal length. In other words a 21mm lens used to record an image 1:1 will have identical dof to a 400mm lens used to record the same image 1:1
Another photographic fauxpas is the belief that using a filter will "add" something. Filters, by definition can only subtract,i.e."filter" out.
Colin

Hello Colin,
Surely "effects" filters such as Cokin - starbursts and so on- must add something in the opinion of those who use them.
John

>Posted by Colin Elliott on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 6:00 am: > >William, Just a technical point. All lenses have the same depth of >field. People often talk (erroneously) about "sharp" wide angle lenses >due to the apparent large DOF. DOF is a product of reproduction ratio, >not focal length. In other words a 21mm lens used to record an image >1:1 will have identical DOF to a 400mm lens used to record the same >image 1:1 >Another photographic faux pas is the belief that using a filter will >"add" something. Filters, by definition can only subtract,i.e."filter" >out. >Colin

Colin,

I don't know how many times I have posted a similar message about wide angle lenses and their "great depth of field". Glad you have reinforced it. It's just an urban legend but I am surprised at how many professional photographers on this list and many other list live by that false premise.

Fits into the category Feynman calls "Cargo Cult Science".

John, Just because you place something in front of your lens, doesn't mean it's a filter (like those close up lenses (close up filters..Ugh!<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• not consider those Special Effects attachments as filters:Starburst, prisms, etc.Lenses they maybe, "filters", the're not.
Colin

Posted by colin elliott on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 4:23 am:

John, Just because you place something in front of your lens, doesn't mean it's a filter (like those close up lenses (close up filters..Ugh! not consider those Special Effects attachments as filters:Starburst, prisms, etc.Lenses they maybe, "filters", the're not. Colin

Well, I often put part of a chain-link fence in front of my lens, such as at a baseball game. Sometimes I get a good shot, when it isn't out of the field of view, it detracts from the shot.

DAW

Don & Colin,
Although you may be technically correct in the optical sense, it is the effect we look for in the practical world and I have read many articles about this. So in a less than serious way, I quote from Ansel Adams text on lenses, "Long lenses have the effect of significantly reducing the depth of field of a subject."
William

Back