DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Aperture spot with use of 184

melvin

Iam very satisfied about the performance of the 18/4 distagon. It is sharp with excellent color and contrast. But it is my only zeiss lens which suffers from flare (aperture spots in the corner) on photographs taken with the sun in front of the lens. Does anyone know if this is a usual pifall of using an ultra wide angle lens? Is it avoidable ?
See the uploaded photo of a mountaineer in a storm. (taken at f16, see the spot on the right side of the image)
96515.jpg

Thanks,
Melvin

www.melvinredeker.com

I have the D21 and can easily produce aperture-shaped ghosting from the sun: I do have to fish around for the offending angle. Don't know if that susceptability is law for ultra-wides, but having 13 lens groups doesn't help -- T* or not!

I have seen your photo: it looks as a very good performance for an ultrawide lens. The same photo taken with my Tokina 17 would be almost illegible due to flare...

My 18f4 gets the same result.What I can do is just find a angle to avoid it.....Some findings for flare:

More flare: zoom lens, more lens element, stopped down.

Less flare: prime lens, better coating, lens hood

Hi Melvin, to come back on the initial question: this is aperture GHOSTING (not flare). Yes the 4/18mm suffers from it. From my experience a rangefinde Voigtlaender Bessa R with Super Wide Heliar 4.5/15mm ASPH does a very very good job DIRECTLY against the sun, give it a try.

Melvin, that is quite a good photo. I am considering purchasing the 18mm, is there a higher resolution of that image somewhere, or or 18mm images that you have? Have you used the 21mm? It seems that from your vantage point, flare could not have been avoided.

Current Info From Contax

I spoke with Contax/Kyocera and they will not be producing a new camera body with the Y/C mount and any new bodies/lenses will have the "N" mount.

I was unable to get good info on the existance or creation of a new digital SLR. Also, nothing new will come about witht the Yashica name in SLR format. I was hoping for a Yashica digital SLR so I can use all my Y/C contax lenses- no luck!!!

Any suggestions on overexposed slides/prints with a G-2 and the Contax 200 flash- it was just checked by the Contax factory and they found no problems-thanks

Larry
N.Y.

> I spoke with Contax/Kyocera and they will not be producing a new > camera body with the Y/C mount and any new bodies/lenses will have the > "N" mount.

Unfortunate. Blake Ziegler has hinted at an RTS-IV some time ago, but obviously, nothing has materialized. If they'd even do minor updates to the RTS-III, it would be a vast improvement...

Regards,

Austin

Larry, I know it might seem a facetious answer to your overexposure problems = but I think the answer is: sell your TLA200 and buy a Mecablitz flash with the SCA3802 module and you can then tailor your flash strength to give you exactly the exposures you want. I had the same problems with my RX and solved it as

Folks-
I cannot inderstand how so many people are anti-G-2! I have used M-2 and M-3 and Voitlandner Prom. RF cameras- Last year I at the meer age of "glasses" went to my Favorite camera shop and had my hand in my pocket ready to buy the latest Leica M series RF! I held it,felt great, I ran my hand over it, it felt great, The winder, was smooth. AHHHHHHHHHHHH- I was ready! and then the sales person said "larry go focus the model you like in the dark corner". I was gone for about 5 min- rocking and weaving and moving-glasses off- glassses on etc! Then I tried the G-2 in auto and manual and was sold! I have used the camera for two years and it has been all over the world with me and I love it-with or without glasses!!!!!
So I guess this point and shoot pin hole camera has done well ! Besides anll my pics are in focus and the lens has better CONTRAST that the Ms 50 MM summicron.

Just a simple story!

Have fun folks Happy Channukah and Merry X-Mass

Back