DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Vertical dark band on the negative

G

I have recently bought a G2 with 28/45/90 lenses and TLA 200. I have been experimenting to get used to the camera and have shot off a few rolls of a variety of subjects. I have just got back the first roll of B&W shots (Kodak 100TMX). These were shot on a bright but hazy day mostly at infinity (buildings, views etc) with the 45mm lens plus contax UV filter and hood. On 3 (maybe 5) of the negatives there is a pale very soft edged dark band (therefore lighter on the print) band runing from the top to approx half way down the shot. On comparing the 3 shots the band does not reoccur in the same position although is toward the center of the frame. Two of the shots were concurrent (14 & 15) the next was shot 31. I have examined color shots with the same lens and can find no evidence of any banding
(the color shots were taken with no filter or hood).

Any ideas what might cause this?

Hi, i´m having a similar problem whith mi RTS I.
It started whith the first B&W film i have shot (Kodak T400CN), the "black band" appeared in some of the photos, left side, all the way updown, but never happened something like this whith color films, so , at least now we know we are not alone!
check the pic im uploading

48352.jpg

> [Dear Rodrigo, I did not find the image you uploaded. But T400CN is no= t a B&W film ....exactly. B&W films result is silver images. T400CN is a chromogenic film which means the image on the film is made up of dyes, no= t silver. Therefore it received the same processing, C41, as normal color films. It basically IS a color film! Check your negatives. If you don'= t have a white band on the negatives then the black band in your photos is = a printer problem.

Dave]

Hi, I have a similar problem to Steven, with a recently acquired (used) G2 with 28/45/90 lenses. On my first 2 rolls of colour transparencies (Provia 100F) I see a narrow vertical pinkish stripe on a few frames (3-5 per roll). It appears irrespective of the lens used, and sometimes seems hard-edged and sometimes softer. I was wondering about the processing until I looked at my first B+W print film (Ilford FP4). There is a stripe on the prints too, but it's so faint that it's only visible if I scan them and play with contrast & brightness in Photoshop.
Two thoughts:
- All the films have been through two airport hand luggage x-ray machines.
- Is there a light leak in the camera? I'll try to test this.

Any other ideas?

Pete

Back