DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

LRPS ARPS and FRPS in royal photography society

benwang

I wonder if anyone would tell me about these membership? Are these professional photographer membership? Who would consider gaining such membership and how difficult to achive them?

Ben

Ben , the honours or qualifications or whatever people want to call them are for anybody who joins the RPS [same as here in my country] . I'm not totally aux fait with the English criteria , but you basically have to submit a body of work within one of the subject categories and these are then judged and your panel is either accepted or not - the standards are high!! If you think your work is worthy give it a go - I expect the RPS will have a web-site so its probably worth looking at this and perhaps getting an idea of the standards too . Its nice to have letters after your name! Steve

> The problem with the RPS is that once you have taken the exam you are only allowed to use the distinction gained whist you are a paid up member. If you subscribe to the magazine as well you are looking at over £120 per year. I dont mind working for something if i can keep that honour for life. The problem with the RPS is that it is an elitist money making organisation where the rank and file photographers are not the most important people in the organisation. And that quote comes from a FRPS who shall remain nameless.

Regards

David

I concur with David.
Paul
happy.gif

I.G.N.A.A.

Ben >Are these professional photographer membership? No, the RPS is more of a 'learned society', though some professionals do belong >Who would consider gaining such membership Anyone who wants to feel that they have achieved a certain level of competence in their image making (and who can afford the subscription) >how difficult to achive them? The level of competence is significant, though there a number of different subject areas available.

Yes, letters can only be used whilst a member, but this is true of almost all chartered societies and organisations martin

Hi Kevin,

I.G.N.N.A.?

Nothing more sinister than '<font color="ff0000">I've <font color="119911">Got <font color="0000ff">Nothing <font color="ff6000">At <font color="aa00aa">All'

Paul
happy.gif

by the way Stephen, the web page for the rps is simply www.rps.org There are some very nice member's work worth seeing. However, I think to view picture on monitor downgrad the quility significanly.
I think it is fair to pay for the membership, afterall you need to pay for your examination. my question is that once when you got the distination, and paid for the membership, do you need to continued to be member? Is there other similar organisation?

Ben

Ben , I think you'll find that many countries have a similar organisation - I know theirs one in the US[but not sure of the name or if they offer "honours"] , certainly theirs one here , the Photographic Society of South Africa[PSSA] , but I've never bothered with the honours despite encouragement from one of the judges who reckons my B&W landscapes would "easily" be accepted . Steve

Back