DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Upload size limit - (automate?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dpreview is history. Get over it.

Of course. This is physics. Nothing surprising. I told you that earlier already in this thread. Everybody has to make his own decision, whether he prefers convenience over quality. There is no free lunch. It is always a compromise.

If you have an image which shall have the best quality, then simply resize it on your PC to 1600 pixel on the longest side with the best quality you can achieve on your PC. The forumsoftware will not do this quality work for you.

I would be billionaire if it would be capable of that ;)
So basically, all photos will be displayed and chopped down to under 1MB. So the 4MB upload is simply the forum limit to get them here and chop them down to under 1 MB.
I think many were under the impression the 4MB upload limit meant we actually would see the photos at that 4MB of quality. So it's even worse than I feared.
So, that makes me wonder if there are any paid forum sites that have photo display and uploads of higher quality. I would have no problem paying a few bucks a month for being able to post and see others photos like we used to at DPR. Even 4MB of quality would be fine, but putting jpegs that are 7, 8, 10, 12 MB when you make them up and seeing them displayed at 350KB is simply a massive quality drop. The drop is like watching a blueray movie through and old VCR, like hearing a 24 bit pristine audio file chopped down to an 8 bit mp3.

So, for me, there is no "getting over it" if I had to drop my audio files down to 8 bit mp3, I would lose interest in listening to them. So the loss of DPR was exactly the nightmare I feared and even worse.
We don't even get to see these at 4MB quality.

I will begin searching for a paid forum for posting and looking at photos. I know there are paid hosting sites but I don't recall ever seeing a forum.
I hate the Fred Miranda site but I seem to remember seeing their posted photos and they seemed high quality so I will check them out again. Of course, we still have plenty of photo discussion sites, so at least there's that.
One good thing we do have is Flickr so we can at least still enjoy high quality photos from lenses and cameras and such.
But yep, I will get over it, but for me, getting over it means losing interest in looking at photos on these forums and just reading the discussions.

On DPR, we used to have the weekly photo thread in the Fuji forum. I used to love to look through it and hit the "Original size" button to see them in all their glory. So this new experience will be like that only WITHOUT the original size button. So when I think of that, I simply would have had no interest in even opening that thread. So no way for me and no doubt many others to "get over it". Getting to see and discuss good quality photis as the photographer intended them to look out of their raw converter is over with, no getting over that. Accepting it is necessary, but losing it will always suck.
Fred Miranda may be the only hope left, but they have trouble even logging in it seems.
Ill still enjoy the reading.

You folks enjoy your 8 bit mp3's and out of alignment VCR quality movies, glad you "got over it"

@guitarjeff

with all respect, you sound now like a drama queen. I hear a lot of "I want to have", "I do not want to do" etc.

All the time others shall do something for you, so that you don't have to lift a finger. But you do not want to do anything yourself.

I explained you over many pages now what your options are at the moment. If you want to have something different, there is a very easy way:

Motivate enough people to pay every month 50USD or 100 USD and I can offer you all kind of image sizes. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz: There is no free lunch.

If you want to look elsewhere: There are enough options out there. Flickr for example. No forum can beat that. And you have full size if you embed it here, whatever that is in your case.

No drama needed. 100 dollars? How many DPR members were there? I thought I heard there were 4 million or so. If half paid A Dollar a month that would be two million a month. I have a hard time believing they couldn't keep their servers running as is. In fact, it makes no sense to see it any other way, since this would mean that if they couldn't then they would have been losing millions a month, so no way the site would have lasted for years.

The Flickr thing will be the only answer, but as I said, but I don't put all my photos on there, probably 10 percent. On top of that the embedding process seems convoluted and different on every forum even seeing one said where you have to copy the BBS code, then backspace out some of the link.
Dirk, no way around it, IT SUCKS TO LOSE DPR, and there is no way to enjoy photos that are 1/8th the quality of what the photographer saved them as.
Go look through one of the weekly photo threads on DPR AND DON'T HIT THE ORIGINAL SIZE button and tell me you would still enjoy the photos
It is a massive loss, no getting over it.

Dirk, no way around it, IT SUCKS TO LOSE DPR,

I know. But life goes on.

We can cry and complain what we lost with DPreview or we try to make the best out of this situation and enjoy our life.

I will not stop photography or joining internet forums, just because DPreview is not there anymore :z04-nic-0075:

Dirk I am happy to see my photographs on this site in a manner that at normal screen resolution does them justice. I think I would prefer that my images were not wandering around the internet at their original high resolution and am a bit surprised that anyone would like to upload full resolution images to a free to air site that was not for actual technical distribution purposes to others.

The only issue is the minor nuisance of having to resize images that I hurl at this site. But I am reconciled to it and it is not a huge bother. If I could simply load and go any size and the site auto resized then it is fine by me and would be that much simpler to to do.

I don't need my images stored so that any Thomas, Richard or Harold can zoom into them and see the finest detail. Surely if I need to exhibit the high resolution of my camera kit as caught by my immaculate photographic capabilities (and a bit of luck) I can crop a portion out of my original and post it as a separate image - my audience will just have to believe that it came from the same original and if this is doubted then I simply don't care anyway. Doubt away .....

If I could simply load and go any size and the site auto resized then it is fine by me and would be that much simpler to to do.

This is what we currently have.

• You can uplod at the moment 10MB files and the forum software will do the rest for you. It will resize the image automatically for you.
  • If you want to have bigger file sizes, you embedd your images from external sources like Flickr without any file-size restrictions.
  • If you want to show the best quality possible, then you have to use your image editing software (Lightroom, Photoshop, DXO, capture one etc.), optimize the image on your PC for 1600 pixel on the longest side and then upload it to the server.

I just uploaded a bunch scaled back to quite small sizes I will do better next time.

Another advantage of this forum is that I feel more free to upload older images made by gear that is not what I am currently using.

I don't mind compressed images on forum myself as long as they still carry the look of the original and are not pixellated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back