DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon 5DS + Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD A010

SandyF

I've been considering options to take with my Canon 5DS on an upcoming long-distance trip, a zoom to supplement the 30mm pancake I like. The Canon 24-105mm is just so HEAVY for me. I will start some examples with the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD A010 and add more in the following days. These are some of my first shots, with monopod, but with a T-storm brewing we were only briefly outside before heading into a marginally lit greenhouse. The ISO100 shots are outside, others inside.
2O6A0529 dwn125sn by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

2O6A0520 dwb100sn by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

2O6A0522 dwb100sn by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

These seem a bit less sharp than my 30mm or 24-105mm but I need to become more accustomed to the lens and improve my f/stop. More photos coming to my flickr photostream under Sandy Fleischmann

I've been considering options to take with my Canon 5DS on an upcoming long-distance trip, a zoom to supplement the 30mm pancake I like. The Canon 24-105mm is just so HEAVY for me. I will start some examples with the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD A010 and add more in the following days. These are some of my first shots, with monopod, but with a T-storm brewing we were only briefly outside before heading into a marginally lit greenhouse. The ISO100 shots are outside, others inside.

These seem a bit less sharp than my 30mm or 24-105mm but I need to become more accustomed to the lens and improve my f/stop. More photos coming to my flickr photostream under Sandy Fleischmann
Here's the latest wisteria photo with the Tamron 28-300mm 1/60 f/13 ISO400 @300mm
2O6A0637 Canon 5DS Tamron 28-300mm ISO400 by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

Great images, but the last two images are not in focus. Is it because the lens is not sharp? Or is it that the lens / camera needs a AF fine tune? I had this problem so much when I used to use DSLRs, I finally switched to mirrorless just to get rid of this issue hahaha

Great images, but the last two images are not in focus. Is it because the lens is not sharp? Or is it that the lens / camera needs a AF fine tune? I had this problem so much when I used to use DSLRs, I finally switched to mirrorless just to get rid of this issue hahaha
Manzur, Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to decide if it's the lens or me (photographer shake...) Plus on outdoor photos on April 22, there was quite a stiff breeze before a big thunderstorm. I'm still working through lots more examples before I state anything definitive about the Tamron 28-300mm.

before I state anything definitive about the Tamron 28-300mm
The Tamron 28-300 is a super zoom. It is able to do many things well, but a superzoom with this weight, size and focal range was not designed by the manufacturer, to be able to compete with either better/more expensive zooms or FFL.

Just to manage the expectations. ;)

Dirk, thanks for the comments. I understand. I just need to weigh the trade offs, lighter weight & size of the Tamron versus the 24-105mm for a zoom. I also wish to work out the Tamron's 'best' f/ stops and zoom ranges if I take it to Hawaii, where the light is often almost 'ideal'. Any suggestions on those? The Canon 30mm pancake definitely goes to Hawaii. I can easily handle it walking around. If weight on a given day is really a concern, I'll have the Sigma DP2Merrill and the DP3Quattro to supplement the Canon 5DS. I won't (cannot!) carry all of them at the same time LOL. I'll choose the camera for the daily situations.

Hi Sandy,

this is always a very personal, subjective choice. There are people who love zooms and there are people who prefer FFL. I am a big fan of fixed focal lenghts.

I would recommend to buy a Canon 50/1.8 if tgat exists. Or 50/2.0. A newer generation. This FL is cheap to produce and has in most cases a very good image quality. Significantly better than any zoom below 800 USD.

A 50mm is small and compact and you can play very easy with depth of field. Zoom with your feet.

I have a classic Sigma 50mm f/2.8 in Canon EF mount. Hmm Perhaps I should consider taking that. We know one can greatly crop the big Canon 5DS files.

Sigma 50mm f/2.8

Is that a Macro?

If yes, you can get really close in case you need it. Test it out at home. Make portaits of animals if you have one with a little environment. 50mm on fullframe can be good for that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it's the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro manufactured probably 20 years ago, bought for my first 5DII, but it seems sharp on the 5DS. (I also have an original Sigma mount same lens given to me by Seng and Dick Merrill for my first digital camera in 2004, the Sigma SD10). I need to try the Canon EF mount out more on the Canon 5DS. I just took some soddenly wet flower photos, and tried cropping heavily too. The photos are not interesting enough to upload LOL.

Back