Any "love" for Panasonic m4/3 gear?

dirk

CI-Founder
Dirk, got my eye on a GX80 with twin lens kit, 12-32mm & 35-100mm. Is that a good combination? I know that sometimes kit lenses can have a poor reputation.
Yes, that is a good combination. Both lenses are better than the average kit lenses normally added with bodies.

I have bought the same combination initially. In my case I find the 12-32 better in IQ than the 35-100. But this can be sample variation or because I now have also the bigger and more expensive 35-100/2.8 HD. So this comparison is not fair ;)

If the prize is right, you will not regret it.

Best wishes

dirk

CI-Founder
Here are some snapshots I made with my GX80 and the 12-32 Kitzoom at a show in "Loroparque" in the North of Teneriffe. FPS medium setting to have no viewfinder blackout with the GX80 EVF. As you can see, the fps rate was enough to capture the moment. I was too slow to lift the camera to my eyes when it started though...

web-1030261.jpg

web-1030262.jpg

web-1030263.jpg

web-1030264.jpg

web-1030265.jpg

web-1030266.jpg

The 12-32mm is really tiny. Like a Pancake. It covers the most important focal range for everyday shooting with the family. And it only weights 70g as far as I remember.

dirk

CI-Founder
This Pancake lens makes you really flexible. And high ISO of the GX80 is not as bad as its used to be in Fourthirds/MFT world...

web-1030661.jpg
ISO 3200

web-1030697.jpg
ISO 3200

exifs data should be still in the images. All images without any retouching. Just imported into Lightroom 6 and then exported as Jpegs with maximum of 250KB file size restriction.

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Rachel,

I uploaded some videos about the GX80/GX85 in the MFT forum. This might make it easier to get a feeling for that camera without running around to find some dealers to look at it just for a first look.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Best wishes

rronaldson

Dirk, thanks for those videos. I've just ordered the GX80 twin lens kit. I should get it tomorrow. Thanks for your help and advice.

rronaldson

Dirk, got my new GX80 kit this morning and I'm charging up the battery at the moment. While I'm waiting I thought that I'd try the lenses on my G1 body. Well, they mount but I get a message to make sure that he lens is mounted correctly. So am I correct in thinking that they are not compatible with my G1?

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Rachel,

as far as I remember, is the Panasonic G1 the first model of Panasonic for the new MFT mount. So it should fit without problems.

The reason for teh altert could be, that both zooms are a totally new design which did not exist yet at the introduction of the G1 in 2008. So it is possible, that the G1 needs a firmwareupdate to be able to "recognize" these two zooms properly (also for teh viewfinder).

Which firmware is installed on your G1?

here is a link, but I do not kow whether that is the newest firmware update (v1.4):

Maybe it is better to call the Panansonic Hotline support to check that. Since you have bought a new Lumix camera ans lenses, this support question should be free of charge. It is just a question and they look it up easily in their technical books.

Last edited:

rronaldson

Oops forget my question. I didn't realise that I have to switch the lens on by moving the zoom ring to the first zoom setting.

dirk

CI-Founder
Yeah, I also forget that all the time. This is the case with teh 13-32 and the Oly 9-18. For the 35-100 Kit lens I do not know, because I use the other 35-100/2.8 HD all the time.

But check nevertheless your firmware version in the G1 and also in the GX80 ;)

I have FW 1.2 on my GX80

How do you like the GX80? How does it feel?

I want to see pictures!!!!

rronaldson

Thanks Dirk. I'll do the firmware checks. I'm thinking that I'll get a spare battery and external charger but the genuine Panasonic battery is quite expensive.

dirk

CI-Founder
Thanks Dirk. I'll do the firmware checks. I'm thinking that I'll get a spare battery and external charger but the genuine Panasonic battery is quite expensive.
Yes, the battery is very expensive. But as far as I could research, the third party batteries are not that reliable. Panasonic seems to trry to block them sometimes. Sometimes they do not have the labeled battery power etc.

I nevertheless bought one noname battery. It is not as good as the original one. does not last as long. Maybe 50% of the power in real life. But I can not convince myselv to spend the extra money (10 Euro vs. 55 Euro).

dirk

CI-Founder
regarding external charger. There should be one within the package. Apart of that buy an Ansmann charger. I look it up for you. Great value for every kind of battery. In have to go now. post the link later...

dirk

CI-Founder
Amazon UK, maybe someone else has it cheaper:

Ansmann Powerline Vario. That one charges every batter and it is very easy to adjust each time for the diffeernt PIN locations of teh different batteries.

rronaldson

I've not had many problems with 3rd party batteries but then I don't buy completely anonymous ones. There is no external battery charger with the kit, just the adaptor to charge the battery in camera.

Battery still charging :)

dirk

CI-Founder
I've not had many problems with 3rd party batteries but then I don't buy completely anonymous ones. There is no external battery charger with the kit, just the adaptor to charge the battery in camera.

Battery still charging :)
o.k., I checked this with mine and I also got the USB cable with the Poweradapter in my GX80 packages. I mixed that with the external charger DE-A98A of my Lumix GM5 (battery type BLH7), which works also for battery type BLG10 of the GX80/85.

Since this external charger costs the same like the Ansmann charger, I would recommend you the Ansmann charger I mentioned earlier to be more flexible in the future in case you want to charge different batteries.

rronaldson

Patience patience .......

Now that the public holiday weekend is over I will take the camera out one day although there will be no fancy stuff yet :)

The supplied handbook is very basic but I've bought a printed version of the complete handbook which I'm slowly working through.