DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica cm

Hello all,

I´m the proud owner of a Minilux and my pictures convinced a friend of mine to abandon the "digital" world and buy a CM which arrived last week.

Couple of questions about the latest posts:

marc bruton heard that all CM have been withdraw due to a faulty chip form panasonic. I know that the minilux has the propensity for a "EO2" error due to a problem in the shutter electronics (and it was build by panasonic). isn´t that rumor about the minilux and not the CM?. I thought that panasonic had nothing to do with the CM. (my minilux is holding on, by the way)
happy.gif

CH Lin: nice quality pictures, which film did you use?

I'll try to arrange a head-to-head with both cameras, same film, same development, pictures taken simultaneously to the same subject, to see if I can find any differences in the pictures quality and color between the two.

Best Regards,

João Varandas

Joao,

As far as CM quality is concerned, see my own experience (March 29 post)
Best regards
Jean-Claude

Joao, welcome.

The electronics problem with the CM is not the same as the Minilux. I am now on my third CM, and this one is finally behaving itself. The problem manifests itself in a couple of ways:

1. The power level indicator in the display on the back of the camera is overly sensitive; it shows the battery depleted when it is not. This is easily rectified by touching the shutter release - if the display does not return to full, the battery is really depleted.

2. Occasionally, the CM may "forget" its' settings; day/date and any user-set preferences such as flash default to off and EV adjustment. This is irritating rather than fatal, and just requires the settings to be re-entered. I have had this happen when the camera is off, for no good rhyme or reason.

3. Occasionally the CM may lock up at end of roll. This is more serious, and requires removal and re-insertion of the battery to "reset".

4. Occasionally the CM may "die" mid-shot, resulting in interesting if unintentional double-exposures! This happened to me in the rainforest in Tobago and was the reason for #2 being returned.

Having said all that, do not get the impression that the CM is a cr*p camera - it is far from it. All the problems described above are inter-related; my current CM does none of the above, and is the perfect travel camera; just the right level of control, speed, strength, portability and quality. I would not have persevered otherwise.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. Leica UK have been excellent throughout.

Joao,

The film is Fujifilm X-tra 400. As to the problems Bill mentioned, I haven't found any with my CM. The only complain would be the sultter lag, especially using with the flash. I was wondering if there is any setting to improve the lag?

Chlin,

Why is there a time lag ? Because when you want to shot a picture, the AF illuminator fires to help the AF to focus, then the Red-Eye pre-flash fires, and finally the picture is taken.

To improve the time lag, disconnect the illuminator by shifting to manual focus, and do not use the Red-Eye setting.

Best regards
Jean-Claude

CH,

That photo in your first link is quite beautiful. I'm now considering a CM, or even the new CM Zoom ...

Dave

Hi David,

Thanks. I'm also waiting for some s&le pictures from the new CM zoom. However, I don't think it will be as good as CM in terms of the image quality.

CH

Hi all,
I want to share with you the experience I had this winter on the italian alps. I was in a location 1800 to 2900 meters high. I spent there a week, temperatures ranged from -2°C to -19°C. It was hard and sometimes painful to touch the body of my Leica CM without gloves, but none of the 200 slides I took was neither out of focus nor bad exposed. The camera functions were unaffected by the cold weather and only one battery was employed.
Some friends had serious problems with their electronic or digital cameras or video systems.
What is your experience in cold/humid climates?
Natale
84057.jpg

Super picture Natale. You really get the feeling of being there. It even feels cold!
Is it on Agfa Scala?
John

Back