Any point getting the current 50mm Summicron

marc65

Hi,

I would appreciate any input on this issue. I am just not happy with the look from my 1970 made 50mm Summicron. The results from my Minilux are far more pleasing. Is there any point in spending money on the current computation, or do I just have to go get a 35mm Summicron, which doesn't seem to get these criticisms? It is not the focal length that is at issue, but the "look". The Zeiss 45mm Planar for the G system was far, far better? Opinions...?

Marc, New York.

S

starfighter

Hi Marc,

is it the black Wetzlar version? In my opinion it is one of the best lens I've ever used so I think that your lens can have a problem.

Look at this little test:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I took those test shots with that Summicron.

I know that old chrome versions are not so good...

Alessandro

marc65

Alessandro,

It is the Wetzlar version, and it is the version just before the current one. I hear a lot of criticism of it, and the 40mm Summarit on the Minilux does seem to give a different look. The Summicron seems harsh and lacking in the silky smoothness and famous Leica "glow" of the Summarit and--I think--the 35mm Summicron. I just wondered if I am seeing things, or not seeing them, and if the current 50mm is better. The Zeiss most certainly had a more pleasing colour saturation, but I think that goes for Zeiss in general. If the current 50mm is going to be indistinguishable, then why spend the money, unless of course one wants to change focal length to 35mm...???

Marc, NYC.

S

starfighter

Marc,

it sounds me very strange. I've used or seen images taken with at least five different black Wetzlar (it's the third from current series) and they were all amazing both in bw and colour. So, check that your 50 has not any defect...

I repeat: it sound me strange because this lens impressed me for all those features that you don't find in it. For ex&le, it has a fantastic capacity to get many many shades in all light condition with very detailed highlight and rich shadows.

Alessandro

marc65

Alessandro,

I'll stop complaining and go back to taking pictures. I might try to rent the current 50 to see if there is any difference. I might, as I said, be just seeing things, or not seeing things! I should stop paying attention to Erwin Puts!

Marc, NYC

peter_n

Marc you might also want to try out the current Elmar-M 50mm/f2.8. I have had two current Summicrons and didn't like either. Very harsh on people; cool color rendition; painfully sharp (or maybe over-contrasty).

The Elmar-M is based on a Zeiss Tessar formula so it may "look" more appealing to you. It's a stop slower than the Summicron, but it's sharp, has good contrast and nice color rendition. See the link below (has other links embedded in it):

ces

All,

I am currently on my third Summicron 50. The previous one was the latest version with the built-in hood, which is a great idea that does not work very well. The one I now have is what is called the 3rd version, ie. the Wetzlar made lens preceding the current version. Optically they are the same, but the focusing tab and the rigid hood makes the Wetzlar 3rd version a much better lens to work with. I also use a Summicron-M 35 ASPH and a Minilux, and the images are all great.

Carl

vishalvora

I disagree with Carl, I have the current 50mm f2 and it works very well, the hood doesn't have to be used all the time although I do and it simply pulls out.

Some users go on about the focus tab but I don't mind - both work very well. My 35mm f2 has a tab and the 50mm f2 does not.

The image quality of the 50mm f2 is sweet, which ever one you get - it performs really well at f4 and wide open. I am sure that you're like the photos taken with it.

General rule of thumb regardless of what is said, newer lenses are going to be sharper.

If you are based in London I know of a few dealers seller both 3rd and 4th (current) types for very good prices. Email me and i'll pass on the details.

All the best,

Vishal.