DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RX vs RXII

I'm an Aria owner, living in Belgium.

we will not be able to buy the RXII- a pitty- could I find it in Germany

regards

Johan

As to shutter noise/vibration:

Has anyone except Andrew actually compared an RX and RXII and noticed a difference in shutter noise or vibration? This would be much more important for me than anything else, so please let us know!

Thanks

Bernhard

My RX shutter or/and film transport mechanism shrieks! It has been suggested that it needs oiling. Should I attempt this by using modeler's oil thru the aperture gap at the bottom of the lens mount? I cannot afford a service right now but am afraid of any wear and tear to the transport mechanism... The oil I have I bought from a model shop and seems quite thin and has a long thin applicator nozzle , but I am not sure whether I should use it.. any thoughts?

Phil, If you are competent camera repair tech. then go ahead and use it. If you are not, then my advice is to steer clear and leave well alone.
Lubrication in cameras requires some pretty high tech.oils. Not, I'm sure, the typical oil found in a model shop.
When Leica "winterizes" cameras for use in Arctic conditions, they remove the oils. They state that this will reduce the lifespan to about 50%. So I estimate that to be about 100,000 exposures.
IMHO, if you can afford the camera, you need to be able to afford the very limited maintenance required. Why not get an estimate from Kyocera in Reading?
Colin

Yes your right Colin, I shall do that - uts probably less money than I thought...tho it needs quite a CLA -i just hope that they can tweak the DFI to make it more sensitive .

Hi Guys,

Has anybody got an opinion on the merits of the RX versus the RX II. I know this topic has been brought up before, but I'd like to see if there are any more views on the matter.

At present I can get a mint RX for around £500. However, I can get a RX II with the 50mm for around £700. I'm not bothered about the lens and I just want to compare the two cameras as it would appear they are quite different in nature.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Saras

Hi

The RXII lacks the focus indicator which, in my opinion, is not necessary. I have the RX and don't use the indicator. If the film-advancing motor is quieter on the RXII I'd go for the 2. The RX is a wonderful camera, virtually no vibrations from the mirror or the shutter, the shutter release is very soft but the motor for the advancing and the motor for the apperture are both a bit on the loud side.

Cheers M;los

I own the RX with DFI and I like it very much. I only saw an RXII once and I didn't get to look into the viewfinder. From what I have read while the RX and RXII look exactly alike, the RXII lacks the DFI and is 20% brighter in the viewfinder. I also read (and this is all hearsay) that the RX II has plastic rather than Titanium in the body. I like the DFI very much I think it is more accurate than my eyesight. Yes, it doesn't work in low light but for me that is minor. By the way, my RX is rather quiet when advancing film. The RX is the quietest SLR Contax put out. From what I understand, the older a body gets, the louder the squeeks and squeels become. This is true with all of us. I bend down now to get my cat's food bowl and I go "OOF" There was a time when I didn't do that.

Hi Saras,
I see that in this week's AP, Ffordes www.ffordes.com are advertising an RX for £350, no indication of condition. Sorry to complicate things...
John

Back