DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

Bishop,

You're correct, the focus lock button doesn't hold the lens position if you're not pressing it. I hadn't really thought about it before, but that's a nice feature of the T3: the focus lock holds the setting until you take your shot, you don't need to keep pressing the button.

Contax claims to have reduced lag time with the G2, but I've never had the chance to compare the two models. On either, your technique of presetting focus in manual mode to achieve maximum speed is a good option.

Best regards,

--Rick

Getting back to G3 wish list. If we're going digital can we eliminate the shutter release 'delay' experienced with all the Digitals I have tried. Use of existing lenses essential.
a' the best

Tom

[Does anyone know what reality is regarding a G3 release date -- or is this all just hypothetical?]

> There has been rumors (just rumors) that Contax is researching on a Digital > G. > But with the way they run things i will be happy to see them getting the TVS Digital out of the door before it gets obsolete.

A new G remains a dream only. My guess is that Kyocera's R&D budget for the G line is pretty much nonexistent. There's been nothing new brought to market since the zoom.

Japan remains in a grave, decade-long recession. Kyocera, despite their stock being worth less than a quarter of what it was about three years ago, has still managed to develop and ship the 645 and N lines. These lines probably still get all the R&D.

I'm sure they have a lot of neat G development projects sitting on the shelf, gathering dust for lack of funds. This pause allows us plenty of time to imagine new Gs. In my spare time, I envision three:

A Gm, all mechanical G
A Gd, full-frame digital G
A G3, an upgraded G2 that, among other wonderous qualities, accommodates new, faster and longer lenses.

That's not too much to ask for from a niche camera system, is it?

--Rick

Re G3 wish list:

-- faster lenses (e.g., something comparable to the 50mm f/1.4 mf lens)

-- longer telephoto (e.g., 135mm)

-- 17-35mm zoom (would be much more useful than the 35-70)

-- silent mode shutter (like the original Konica Hexar); I do find the G2 to be on the too noisy side.

I assume that some of these things are either not feasible technically (especially a compact 17-35 zoom), would entail unacceptable quality compromises, or would require glass that's too long or heavy to match the G2 body (and the G2 ethos of compactness). A 50mm 1.4 shouldn't be all that hard, though, and a 135mm exists for the M6. I wonder if the G2 didn't sell enough to justify the R & D that would be required for some of this. Does anyone know if the G2 is regarded as a financial success that would merit an upgrade, or if Kyocera is more likely to pull the plug and not bother with a G3?

Regards,

Kirk

Rick,

nice consideration. I guess all 3 version would be a long running success if they were marketed well. Sadly, I am convinced this will not happen.

Till

Kyocera wont probably develop a G3 now. We may have to live with that fact for a certain time.

But it may be possible to upgrade the G2. G1 have already been upgraded : ROM upgrade (green label in the film compartment). It may be possible to add a few custom functions : other ways to control the existing hardware.

First : shutter lag/lens parking stuff : a custom function (call it "6") to enable another way of setting the lens to the desired focus, like what is done with the T3. Set to "0", same as today, set to "1", the lens is focused to the desired distance by the focus lock button, and doesn't move until another pressure on that button or until the camera is switched off. There is a risk : if the lens is set to infinity, and directed toward the sun, the shutter could be burnt after a while. But I think it's worth the game : no shutter lag when using the G like some use their Leica M.

Second : DOF scale : a custom function (call it "7") to enable another way of displaying the distance in the viewfinder : set to "0", as today, set to "1" : the square dots would indicate the DOF, and the "arrow" dot (used for manual focusing) would show the focus. A good figure if better than a big explanation, so have a look at the G2 manual, page 36 (hope it's the same for everybody) : "display in the viewfinder" : just imagine the square dots only show the DOF... Of course, the apperture of the lens cannot be transmitted by the lens itself, but is gessed from the difference between the internal and external meters.

Those 2 functions should, IMHO, greatly improve the G. There is no need to change the existing devices inside the G. An upgrade of the brain (software) should be enough. It has been made for the G1 (green label). I would pay to send my G2 to have it's ROM updated because I would get a much better camera. The cost for Kyocera R&D should not be that big, so it may be possible.

There may be other ways to design those custom functions, and other "desirable" customs functions. We shouldn't ask for too many modifications, too expensive for R&D.
Why not work on that and loby on Kyocera to make some ROM upgrade for the G ? It may be more real than an hypotethic G3. (a 11-13 M full frame digital G3 would for me be a good addition to the existing)

sorry for the long post

If that is possible, it certainly sounds a good option. I would also go for that.
John

Back