DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film Technical Information

Does no one develop their own film anymore? Jobo CPP-2 with Tetenal six-bath E6 works perfectly every time?

BTW, Kodak can KMA. They're sure they're doing god's (lowercase intentinal) work on earth, but, by and large, they're FOS. Any yayhoo can process color slides with Fuji, Beleler, or, in my case, Tetenal chemical. Process control is what counts, not a brand name.

P.S.: I am a lab technician in addition to running my own E6/Ilfochrome (and B&W!) darkroom.

Chris,

You are right - anyone can process color slides IF they maintain the process controls. I did my first roll of slides in the mid 50s with Ansco film and chemicals. I just made sure I followed the instructions and kept the temperatures as close as possible. I remember after all these years how ecited I was when a pulled those slide out of the tank.

Back then, you had to expose the film to a flood l& (the reversal exposure). I even used sunlight once because my 500 watt l& burned out when I needed it. I have also done E2, E3, E4 and E6. But nowdays I don't think I would have the time to do it.

Kodak has always had the idea that they were the gods of photography, and the consumers believed in them - until Fuji came to the USA. (And Ilford for B&W.) However, their tech support was excellent back in the 70s & 80s. I think they were feeling the breath of Fuji on their neck and realized they had to keep up the service or loose market share.

I enjoyed my years as a lab manager and technician, but would not want to deal with Kodak today.

BTW, have you noticed that the darkroom departments of most camera shops seems to be limited to one small set of shelves with only a few products available to the consumer. What has happened to this part of photography?

Jim

I think the lack of darkroom supply shows the wave of the future. Digital is becoming huge. I myself am eyeing up the S2.

Jim, K Michael,

Chemical-based photography is under digital assault for sure. As an amateur for 30 years, I've tray-developed color prints, developed Cibachrome in tanks, developed B&W emulsions, and bulk-loaded film by hand. So, the slow demise of these processes is painful to watch.

That said, I credit digital for reviving my interest in shooting. when I purchased a Nikon CP900 a few years ago. It was amazing to see what 1.3 megapixels from a P&S could do -- instant feedback, too! I now have a DSLR (Canon D30) which gives vastly superior images and responsiveness. Am now exploring an inkjet printer (Canon S9000 or Epson 2200).

The odd thing is my recent return to film-based photography, and not just for nostalgia. Sometimes the digital gimmicks and battery dependency gets in the way of the craft, and the vision. For my analog enjoyment, I can now grab the RTSIII, toss in some film, and go full manual.

While I'm not ready to buy an enlarger, I intend to dig out my tank and develop film again. If the chemical bug really hits, I might dip my toe into LF, and try some Pt contact printing.

I had an 8 x 12 enlargement made from a slide last week and when I got it back the print showed very dull colours, an overall darkness and the sky portion of the print had a purple colour cast instead of the rich blue as on the slide. Velvia was the film used. Now I know the photo shop has made a mess of this, but I would like to know what has happened from a technical perspective. A friend has stated that when making prints from slides "nothing can really go wrong". Clearly I dont believe this. So, if anyone has any technical information to share, I am eager to learn. Thanks.

Steve

It depends on the processor you take it to for printing. If they are a traditional film processor or they use the newer machines that scan the images in and prints it digitally. I've had work done the traditional way and the new COSTCO method
happy.gif
really inexpensive, but colors can come out wrong. Even traditional printing methods can have variances due to age of chemical, type of paper used etc... but they are typically more acceptable. The COSTCO digital prints from slides are also good, but sometimes they have the machines adjusted to be very warm toned. This makes my pictures of black sand beaches turn into brown muddy beaches. Just ask them to redo without any color correction or adjustments and things come out much much better.

Another difference, our local COSTCO's and Kits camera's use the same machines, but the way they have them setup, the COSTCO machines do not handle magenta color very well. Nor do they handle the dark purple of the purple Iris flowers too well. But Kits camera does much better but at over twice the cost per print
happy.gif

Select a good local developer/printer and stick with them. And don't be afraid to let them know how YOU like it or have them redo the print. most places will redo a print for free.

I have never had good prints from slides at any usual processor. Then I found out about Type R enlarging. The slide will come out beautifully with this process, even out to 18" x 24". It is a lot more expensive though. But if your enlargement is for fine art-it is worth it. You could even pay a little more and request some creative dodging and burning. Do an on-line search for The Slideprinter!

Ron in NM

Back