DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which is the best film for contax g

Max,

Yes, I agree a film scanner would be best, but they are pricey. The Nikon is $1100 at one of my local shops.

However, I did get a line on a low-end professional 3600 x 3600 pixel film scanner that has a slot for 35 mm slides and can take a long strip of negatives - full roll capability. The price is around $550.00. It is the PrimeFilm 3600 from Pacific Image Electronics (www.scanace.com). I will be able to see it in action as my other local camers store/lab uses it and reccommendes it. Interface is USB2.

And Rick - thanks for the line on the Minolta, but I think I will go with the film only unit.

Jim

Please report on what you find out about this scanner! It will be much appreciated.

Trying to go back to the question about films, has anyone compared Ilford HP5, Delta 400 and XP2? I have read the brochures and I know XP2 is a C-41 film, etc. What I wonder is if some of you have used them and have first-hand impressions about the difference in results, particularly in terms of scanning.
Thanks

Juan

I'll challenge everyone to find a better B&W type film than T400CN in the Contax G. It is so sharp it almost cracks the lens. The Portra B&W version is for scanning. Both are C41 process.

Dave

>I have not heard good things about the Prime Film scanners. I have >used the Minolta Scan Dimage Dual, the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite and >the Canoscan FS4000US. All were SCSI - Mac connections and the >latter 2 have dust removal. The newest Scan Dual III gets good >write-ups, but my FS4000 was very good value. Chris

Thanks Chris. i discused scanners last night with a friend and he has researched the Minolta - and is cready to buy it. I have not had time to check out any reviews on the Web yet, but I might do so today.

David - I have heard the same opinion from many otheers on T400CN, including a very big professional lab in my area. They have done some fantastic work with this film, including printing large murals.

Juan - My local camera shop and the lab both agree that the Kodak T400CN beats Ilford XP2, however HP5 and Delta 400 are some oft the best srtandard B&W films on the market.

Now that the weather is getting better, I will be able to get out and do some outdoor photography (I just can't take cold weather anymore). I plan to take some indoor shots this wweek and next week at work for an inseret to a brochure I am working on. I will shoot some T400CN and possibly some color negative film for this project. The subject is metal parts, so there is really no color involved. If Iet my scanner in the next couple of weeks, I will report back the results.

Jim Slater

thank you for all the answers, they have been I from great utility .go to prove the t400 b&w cn and I will already comment you the results, in other cameras the best color movie that I have used is the fuji 100 reala, it is wonderful.
thank you and greetings from spain

muchas gracias por todas las respuestas , me han sido de gran utilidad.voy a probar la t400 cn de b&w y ya os comentare los resultados, en otras camaras la mejor pelicula de color que he usado es la fuji 100 reala, es maravillosa.
muchas gracias y saludos desde spain

> I normally rate the T400CN at 200 not 400 ISO. Some friends of mine rate it at 100. So when you test it you might want to look at an exposure series.

dave

I just read the rewviews for some of the film scanners I was interested in buying. The Minolta is a winner - no one had anything bad to say about it. The Pacific Image, however, did not fare as well - not to many favorable comments.I will buy the Minolta

Jim

Back