DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

B&W Development

J

jerryplemons

I have started developing B&W film again and am having difficulty getting the same fine grain I used to get with D-76 1:1 and Tri-X. I tried a slower film, FP4, with both D-76 1:1 and HC-110 Diluiton B. Nothing seems to be working for me like it used to. I have Tri-X and Plus-X negatives shot many years ago with much finer grain. Temperature is generally 70 degrees F, plus or minus a degree or two. Fix and wash are within a degree or two. But the grain looks like oatmeal or popcorn balls, particularly in smooth areas like skin.

It can't be this hard! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry

> The right way for D76 and leica is this one Dont use D76 1:1 but 1:0 and "regenerate" by pure new B solution at 20°C time for Tx : 400 asa 12' 800 18' 1600 22' For FP4 8 ' at 125 asa. In this case you have same times for all dev. This is the process in Pro Labs in france The grain is fine for 30x40 cm enlargments Regards jaques zekkar

Jerry, Since you seem to have an interest in 400 ISO film, may I suggest that you try Fuji Neopan 400 developed in TMax or D76. Great results and virtually no grain at 11x14 from a 35mm negative. When I use this in the Contax 645, there is no grain at 16x20. Development time for D76 stock solution at 68 degrees is 7.5 minutes. Development time for TMax at 68 degrees is 6 minutes.

If you want an 800 speed film that has a bit less grain than TriX at 400, try Fuji Neopan 1600 rated at 800. For this film I use D76 stock solution at 68 degrees for 5 minutes. This is a wonderful film that is very contrasty, but produces very interesting results not only for the ususal stuff you might shoot with contrasty film, but also for portraits. Unfortunately, this film is available only in 35mm.

Bill Lafferty Pittsburgh type your text here!

Thanks Jacques and Bill for your advice. I plan to try straight D76 with Tri-X ISO400 and Ilford ISO125. If I can find it, I'll also try Neopan 400 too. What I am looking for is a couple of films and developer combinations that I can standardize on that will give me the finest grain for each film (400 & 125).

So far, my efforts with D76 1:1 and HC-110 have been pretty disappointing. The grain is just too large and seems to clump.

By the way, I am using a small, 10oz metal tank with metal reel. Development agitation is 2 or 3 slow rotational inversions every 60 seconds. Temperature of all solutions is within 2 degrees. I fill the tank once with fresh water after development, then add Kodak Rapid Fix for 5 minutes - rotational agitation every minute. I use a hypo clearing agent for 30 seconds, wash for 5 minutes, and finish up with a 30 second dip in Photoflow. Squeegie and hang up to dry.

Any suggestions / comments on my workflow would be appreciated.

Jerry

Dear Jerry,

The "new" Tri-X has considerably less silver than the old one. Whereas it has been a wonderful film in HC110, it is not now. After thirty years I have changed to Neopan 400. I am also experimenting with Delta 400 and Maco CUBE 400c.

FP4 plus is also not the same as the old and classic FP4. Remember Kodak owns Ilford and published in the financial press its intention to increase profits by among other things reducing considerably its "dependence on silver". Kodak must assume photographers do not read the financial press.

For the finest grain 100 ISO film try Delta 100.

Have fun.

Justin

Ilford is owned by European private equity fund Doughty Hanson:

http://www.doughtyhanson.com/pe/pe_ilford.htm

I pray the Great Yellow Father never sinks its claws into Ilford, otherwise we will lose more than the silver content of FP4. Of course, nothing stops Ilford from reducing silver content on its own. How do we determine such a reduction empirically?

I will give another nod to Neopan as well. For many years I shot Tri-X. A few months back I switched to Neopan. I love the clear look of this film. It seems to scan very well. The tonal range is amazing. Here are some recent images with Neopan:

http://www.jimarnold.org/galleries/west_2003/

Right now I am happy with it in D-76 1:1

Dear Rico,

Thank-you for that news, we can enjoy black and white a little longer.

Justin

Back