DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 28mm vinetting using polariser

G

Hi, have anyone know how to solve the problem of vinetting using 28mm and a polariser (added on a skylight filter). Need advise urgently cause going for holiday in two day time.

I have not try using the polariser alone.

I have not encounter problem on the 35mm f2.8 using polariser.

Do I need the polariser from contax, I am using other manufacturer filter?

You can't usually use two filters on a wide angle lens, because it will cause vignetting. You must remove the Skylight filter before attaching the polaraizer. Even then, polarizers tend to have "thicker" rims and can still cause some vignetting. I bought a Hoya polarizer with a special "low profile" rim to avoid the wide angle vignetting problem.

Another issue is that a polarizer on a wide angle lens will make the sky look brighter in the center than at the edges and corners. That's because the polarizing effect is not linear across the whole frame. It is dependent on the angle of the light entering the lens.

Thank you Craiq, for answering my question.
One more, does putting a 81b on the lens help
to improve or enhance your picture in the afternoon sun.

The 81B warming filter will counteract the blue brought on in daytime open shade situations, but should not be necessary when shooting in the sun.

Hi Francis,

there is a Heliopan warm tone polarizer which is a combination of a polarizer + skylight filter. It is available for 46mm but Kaesemann-type only, which means extra-durable in humid condition but not cheap, and also without MRC.

I don't know if adding GG-1 metal hood will cause vignetting with Biogon 28. Perhaps someone else can report on this?

I use the Contax Distagon 2.8/28 which has a 55mm filter thread. I add to that a step-up ring such as 55mm to 62mm, or 55mm to 67mm, etc., depending on which filter/s I want to use. My polarizer is a 67mm size.
Using a larger size filter eliminates vignetting for me.

Terry

I also use the Distagon 2.8/28 and I bought the Contax 55mm polar filter which has a wider diameter vignetting-free.

Raimo

In addition to using step-up rings to prevent vignetting using a polarizer on the 2.8/28, I am also using a special wide angle Polarizer. I just purchased a used Minolta Polarizing Filter in 55mm thread. It has an oversize filter and a short built in wide angle lens shade, works great!

Terry Skibby

Back