DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Old OMlenses on E1

Well, if you happen to have the misfortune to live in the UK, the situation regarding the OM to 4/3rds adaptor is that Olympus UK will not even acknowledge that such an item exists , or even reply to any emails on the subject.In my opinion at least, Olympus UK rank as the worst importer I have ever dealt with (or should I say attempted to?).I must add however that Olympus Europa and Olympus Japan do not suffer from this lack of courtesy - I even recieved a very polite reply from Japan regretting that they were unable to supply me with the adaptor and apologising for the lack of customer service shown by the UK importers.
So, it looks like I am going to have to order an adaptor from Kindai International in Japan - looks to be identical to the one supplied by Cameraquest, but costs a bit less.
I would be interested to know if other E-1 owners outside of Japan and the US have the same experience as myself in trying to obtain the adaptor.

Hi, I dont know why you had such a bad experience, I rang Olympus UK = and when I mentioned I had OM lenses, the information was volunteered = about the adaptor, and they sourced one for me and thats how I got = mine...Try them again...

I have the contrary view of Olympus UK. To get an adaptor, you need to have registered the E-1, and then submit your request with the registration number given. I did this by e-mail, received a reply almost immediately and the adaptor was delivered the very next day. Superb service.

Well, I have tried (again) e-mailing Olympus UK support(no response there) and also phoning them. The guy I spoke to said that although he was aware of the adaptor, they didn't have any, and that I should persue the matter via my local dealer. Mind you, I think that in common with lots of other organisations, Olympus UK have moved their call centre to India, judging by the phone number.How do you get to speak to someone actually at Oly UK - does anyone have a contact number?

Finally got my MA-1 adaptor via Olympus Europa (from Prague). I still can't understand why (for me at least) it was so long winded.
Still, I am very impressed with the quality I am getting, especially from the 50/3.5 macro, 85/2.0 and 180/2.0. I haven't tried any wideangles, I really can't see the point although maybe the 21/2.0 would make a useful standard lens.
Focussing is as easy as when using the 2-4 screen in an OM body, I really don't miss focussing aids.
(Although it is a pity that we can't have focus confirmation when used with MF lenses, I don't see why this wouldn't have been possible)

It's not that it's not possible; it's that Olympus apparently has no interest in supporting the use of OM lenses on the E-1 body. First off, they contend that their use produces generally inferior results when compared to the E-1 dedicated lenses. Second, they obviously want to encourage the purchase of the new lenses.

I would have thought that it would be big selling point for the E-1 if it was advertised that OM lenses can be used on it without hassle. That must open it up to a much wider customer base who would likely then go on to buy the new lens range.
John

I have been using the 400mm OM lens today on the E-1, and it works beuatifully. You dont get automatic exposure control or autofocus, but you dont with the OM1 anyway, and I have used them for over 20 years without a problem.
They will obviously try to sell you new lenses, but it is commendable that an adaptor was actually made at all.
I think it would work better with longer lenses than with wide angles, because of the nature of them
JK

Back