DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Silver or black

macmx

I am planning on getting an M8.

I have a hard time choosing the color.
With the silver lenses, the silver body looks gorgeous, but is less subtle and a bit more "Leica nerdy". All lenses are available in black, but only a few in silver. I have also heard that the silver lenses are a bit heavier than the black ones. Is this true?

Does the silver have any practical disadvantages?

Which color do you guys like best and why?

Thanks!

Marcus

I like the look of the black leica's but looks to me that the silver finishing is more resilient and the lot has a beatiful apperance even with black lenses. It makes a bit of contrast but it is nice. On the other hand I have a Summicron 50 (50 year edition) in silver matching the M6 TTL body. I like it but it shines a bit too much.Tehrefore , for me, silver body with black lenses are simply OK. Regards, Fernando

The silver has a more classic look. Practically speaking, the silver shows up fingerprints less than the black, if that's of concern to you.

A minor consideration. If you spend a lot of time in bright sun, a black body will get hotter than a silver one -- to the point where it's uncomfortable to touch. I usually keep a Luigi case on the camera, anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. I still like the looks of silver, and recommend you get what appeals to you.

Back