DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica CM with the same lens as the Minilux

From what I gather on the official Leica site, it is definitely a passive phase focus system. It says so in the technical specs. However, the focus system looks very similiar to the T3 which is primarily passive with the active AF for low light focus.

Hi Graham,

You are, of course, absolutely correct. I guess I just don't see the flash shoe, faster shutter and viewfinder display of aperture and shutter speed being worth that much, especially if I give up active AF for passive. Heck, I have gotten used to the speed / aperture display on the camera top already ;-) BUT, I still look forward to trying one out - I'm such a Leica-geek! I love my Minilux, and though the CM looks to be a great little camera, I cannot say I am very compelled to trade-up based on the features alone. We'll see when they hit the stores though...

Cheers! - marc

I think the most significant change is the styling.

The Minilux has the viewfinder, rangefinder and light meter behind one window. The CM has separate windows, similar to a Leica M.

Anyone know if you can default the flash to "off"..? Until and unless that is possible, my T2 stays...

Regards,

Bill

UK price and availability - £690, end November.

Still don't know if you can default the flash to "off"...

Regards,

Bill

The 1/1000 shutter speed is a big plus, to better take advantage of the fairly fast lens to get a shallow DOF. If the flash defaults to off, I may get one to replace my Minilux, which was stolen last year. (The burgler who broke into my home took the Minilux but left my M6 kit, which was right beside it.)

I would love to see Leica upgrade the Minilux Zoom to something that includes all the bells and whistles of the new CM (i.e. aperture priority, exposure compensation, large and bright viewfinder etc), plus the option of using filters, and a 28mm (f3.5 at least) to 70mm (or 80mm)lens. I'll throw away my Contax stuff if Leica comes up with something like this.

My prayers have been answered. I am gonna sell whatever Contax P&S stuff that I have.

Back