CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Auto Bellows PC Unit

G

Has anyone had experience with the Auto Bellows PC unit for c/y mount? Also, what lens(es) were you using?

I'd be interested to read anything you have to say.

G

> Paul

I have been using the Contax auto-bellows for a few years now, principally with the Zeiss 100/4 bellows-macro. This setup is far superior to any other bellows I have tried, not the least because of the Zeiss optics. The whole setup is bulky and heavy to carry around in the field. It also takes time to set up and use on a tripod. It's not the type of outfit you want to use to chase bees with, especially if you're trying to use flash with it! The Contax bellows unit also provides the facility to tilt and shift the front lens mount and so alter the plane of focus. This is it's most significant additional feature over other conventional bellows sets. You can also use the bellows with most other lenses in the C/Y lineup, it functions as an ext ension tube after all, but keep in mind that those lenses are designed to work best at particular focussing distances. With that in mind I tend to set most lenses for infinity when on the bellows and then use extension to get the focus right. If you are looking to buy the Contax bellows set, be aware the tilt and shift facility makes it more expensive than most others, and also ensure you get all the connecting cables that were provided with it new. Buying them separately as a spare part from C/Y may no longer be an option. There was a manual cable release (not so hard to replace) as well as two types of cables that connect the bellows to the remote release port of the camera. Good luck.