DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cleaning Zeiss Lenses

Phil,

Your point about alcohol is interesting. As far as I know, pretty much all lens manufacturers recommend against using alcohol. I think they know what they're saying, so I personally wouldn't risk it. It's easier to spend few more bucks to get a right cleaner than potentially harming MC on your $500 lens. Especially since normally you would probably need to clean only when you have some grease or fingerprints on it. If it's just dust - blower is the right tool. I personally have a need to clean a lens probably once or twice a year, because for the most part - all of them have UV filter mounted on them all the time (excluding the moment when I change filters and put some other filter on).

Douglas,

The cleaning kit on B&H includes some premoistened wipes and regular Zeiss cleaner (the one for $6.50) for their vision lenses. It's not the same cleaning kit as the one advertised on their site and available in Europe.

Mike.

> your comments are correct. Remember I pointed out using a tissue or swab. If you have 1A or UV filters on your lenses as I always do, then you're cleaning the filter not the element. You only need enough liquid to dissolve grease, if any. A blast of air will dislodge dust. Also remember that the coatings are dicholoric not organic. They are not soluble, but can be abrades off. Please note that I was trained by Zeiss some 40 years ago, What they taught then is likely very different than what they recommend today. However, my lenses are as good today as they were when the left the factory. That goes for the CZ lenses as well as my beloved 55 year old Gortz Dagor red dot. The key is to clean the dirt, not scrub the lens.

The Zeiss Lens Cleaning set can be obtained from Foto Huppert (located in Wuppertal, Germany) through eBay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2960923578&category=26079

This set is safe for cleaning all T* coated lenses. Please read the description on eBay for more information.

Price is around $29 (S&H not included!) and will be shipped worldwide. I bought this set myself a few months ago and have cleaned all my lenses with it with very satisfying result!

A long time back there was something called ROR. I got a bottle from Keeble and Schukat and it was awesome. I don't know if it is still available. Google for ROR or Residual Oil Remover.

I recently purchased some ROR ... I believe it was from Central Camera in Chicago. It was either there or Bates camera in Ch&aign, Illinois. Cheers, Scott

ROR is available from B&H. I actually found it to be great cleaner for vision lenses, since grease is more commonly found on them (comes with the normal use).

Vincent,

Thanks for the link! I bought myself one kit rightaway!

Mike.

Back