DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Choose a Diopter Correct Lens

G

I want to have a Diopter correct lens for my S2. I am short sight and wearing glass. However, I still need to turn to "-" for better sharpness at the other build in diopter model (eg. AX)..... How can I determine which one should I get. I would gues that is -1 or -2 but I don't think the retailer will give me a try....

Hello,

can you tell me the prescription of your glasses for the eye you're looking in the viewfinder? Let's see if I can tell you which one will be the best.

Matthias

Thanks Mat,

My short sight is about 500' and so I need to wear glasses anyway...... Today I get a 2nd hand -2 diopter correct lens finder of Canon F1. It fits to S2 well. -2 gives me a sharper feel but a bit too much to me. I will have trial at the real use..... I would guess the -1 will be the best fit but I can not get it at retailer here.

Hello,

> My short sight is about 500' and so I need to wear glasses

I'm an optician. But I must say your prescription value confuses me. Guess you're talking about half a diopter (-0.5 dpt). In this case the -2 correction lens will be much to much! As I know the Contax viewfinders have got -1 diopter already build in.
Poorly there seems to be no -1 FL correction lens available from Contax. But even with a -1 correction lens you'll be overcorreted and the viewfinder image will only get shorter.
Maybe yo can find an optician who'll grind a lens for you. You've got the Canon lens as a s&le.

Matthias

To Mat Brinkmann:
Since you are an optician, perhaps you can answer my question. When using a diopter correction should one correct for near or distant vision. I am a senior citizen with marked presbyopia, and naturally the two corrections are far apart.
Thanks,
Mike Blume

>Posted by M. R. Blume (Blumesan) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 2:12 am: > >To Mat Brinkmann: >Since you are an optician, perhaps you can answer my question. When >using a diopter correction should one correct for near or distant >vision. I am a senior citizen with marked presbyopia, and naturally >the two corrections are far apart. >Thanks, >Mike Blume

Maybe this will help:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/presbyopia.htm

As for me I am simply near-sighted, and my glasses have a specification of about -2 diopters. Thus, I buy camera viewer adapters with a -2 diopter rating, since the image you see in a viewfinder with no correction is intended to appear at infinity distance (more or less).

Back