DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CY Lenses v N1 Lenses

P

pansies

Hi! At the moment I am using an RX plus 6 Prime lenses from 25mm to 300mm plus the 80-200 Zoom. As the weight is getting a little to much to lug around I am considering going for the N1 along with the 24-85mm and the 70-300mm. It has always been recognised that Primes give better results than Zooms, I am woondering if I would be doing the right thing. Have any of you experience of using both the C/Y Lenses, and those of the N1 range.Is the differential that great? Is the focusing of the N1 pretty good. Your oppinions would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards. Ken.

The N 24-85 is incredible for a zoom lens. Very good IMO. I like the 70-300 a lot also. Get a 50/1.4 for low light, and you're all set. ; -)

I can vouch for that too, including the 50 1.4. Too bad I probably won't be using them again - I know, I know, I'm thinking about it, Marc!
lol.gif

DJ

> What type of film are folks using these days in the N1. I've tried the > Kodak Ultra color and HD but am not satisfied.

I used to use the Kodak Royal Gold Select and liked it for its richness. I can't find any these days.

Is the Portra 160 as good in 35mm as 645?

Arlen

Portra 35 and 120 are pretty much the same. These films are touted as producing similar characteristics across the line ... NC types giving more neutral results (NC=Neutral Color) which is nice for portraits and people shots especially in contrasty light.

Portra VC = Vibrant Color, which is good in flatter light or for more punchy color. All the portra films are suppose to be excellent for scanning.

I like the Fuji films in the N1 also.

DJ, the ND is strictly a luxury item these days. I want yours and if you have a 70-200 zoom or a 100 macro, I'll take those also.
wink.gif

Do you have the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS ?

>Thaks for the film advise Marc.

I Like the Portra and use it as my primary film for the 645. I have not shot enough though to get the feel for what circumstance calls for which film. (thanks again.)

I like to scan the Portra more than Velvia. My problem is that my scan files (Epson 2450 scanner) are so huge I can't upload them to this site.

I've gotten some good shots of Bryce Canyon and Colorado National Monument and would like to share them but feel that saving to small JPG files degrades what my lenses capture.

Man, I didn't know how great the N24-85mm zoom is until I use the Canon 24-70L, except it is not f/2.8. But with f/3.5, I found it the contrast is great and looks very bright & crisp in the N1 viewfinder. Coming from RX, you would love the handling of the N1 and AF. AF is a little slow (comparing to Canon 24-70L) since the glass is huge and heavy. But the USM is great (quiet) and responsive.

I have the 70-300mm but didn't use it that much. It has good range and well built. I am spoiled with the 120mm APO with the NAM-1 adapter for longer focal length.

> Albert, I am glad to hear that someone else has been seduced by the 120mm > APO. I bought the N1 and the NAM-1 just so that I would have something to > use with the 120 while the 645 was broken. I wonder if the "artists" > among you could express what it is about the performance of this lens that > is so remarkable.

Considering the broken 645 issue. Since Kyrocera is, aparently, not interested in continuing the line - why do they still refuse to supply parts to competent repair technicians in major cities around the world. I am very reluctant to hand my camera over to the postal service and a repair shop that I can't visit.

Oh well. Another grumble from an unhappy Contax "camera" fan.

I am not much of an artist, but I love to shoot with the 120 APO a lot. Besides it is sharp, 1:1 macro, being able to stop down to f/45, the best thing about this lens is that the color is so much richer comparing to all my Zeiss lenses when you shoot chrome. It is a great combo to show art works with the N1+120APO with Fuji Provia for artist's porfolio.

For portrait, I start shooting a lot more with the C645 80mm f/2.0 + ND lately. You cann't really shot it wide open. But very good in f/2.8. (I have few s&les in the photo gallery.) I found the 80mm is very front focus in AF in my ND.

Back