DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hello, long-time Photography Enthusiast here.

Brian

Long-time Photography enthusiast, computer engineer for a Day job. I've been taking pictures now for 60 years, my Grandmother gave me a Kodak Brownie that took 127 film. Instamatic 150 with clockwork motor drive when I was 8, 35mm Rangefinder in 1969- when I was 11, Argus/Cosina STL1000 at 13. Started with Digital 40 years ago with writing the image acquisition and processing software for custom made digital infrared sensors. Personal use: Leica M8, M9, M Monochrom, Nikon Df and Z5, Olympus u43, and Ricoh P&S for a carry around. I'm looking at the Pentax Monochrome camera very closely. Glad they brought it out.

Anyway- joined the original DPReview some 20 years ago, quit about 10 years ago. I have a DIY forum on Rangefinderforum lots of links back to and Repair Threads when a member asks how to do something and Lens Showcases on Cameraderie when a question arises. Simon did not like that, actually set the software to Ban links to those sites. It got ugly, he backed down, but I left DPReview.

I have a lot of lenses. Lot defined as > 250. Some 40 of those- converted or modified to work with Leica rangefinders. Some 100 of those- took apart for a CLA.

Oh. And I saw Elvis. STL-1000 with 200/3.5 Vivitar.
52091858618_7fec0a88e8_h.jpg

Last edited:
RFF recently went to Xenforo, as did Cameraderie. It took some getting used to after VBulletin. It is fast and responsive, seems to be well maintained.

If you were on RFF- might recall "Jupiter-3". This lens had such a bad reputation that I bought 5 to take apart and find out why. I did, learned how to set them for use on a Leica. I might be responsible for the prices jumping more than 5x. The Sonnars are still my favorite lenses. For a while- offered a $25 CLA to shim for Leica, my clever plan to test a large number of them. I've shot with 300 or so Jupiters on the Leica by now. Also converted CZJ Sonnars to Leica mount, "$25 and left over parts", built up my repair parts that way. Skyllaney in Scotland offer this as a service now, I refer people to them now.

Long-time Photography enthusiast, computer engineer for a Day job. I've been taking pictures now for 60 years, my Grandmother gave me a Kodak Brownie that took 127 film. Instamatic 150 with clockwork motor drive when I was 8, 35mm Rangefinder in 1969- when I was 11, Argus/Cosina STL1000 at 13. Started with Digital 40 years ago with writing the image acquisition and processing software for custom made digital infrared sensors. Personal use: Leica M8, M9, M Monochrom, Nikon Df and Z5, Olympus u43, and Ricoh P&S for a carry around. I'm looking at the Pentax Monochrome camera very closely. Glad they brought it out.

Anyway- joined the original DPReview some 20 years ago, quit about 10 years ago. I have a DIY forum on Rangefinderforum lots of links back to and Repair Threads when a member asks how to do something and Lens Showcases on Cameraderie when a question arises. Simon did not like that, actually set the software to Ban links to those sites. It got ugly, he backed down, but I left DPReview.

I have a lot of lenses. Lot defined as > 250. Some 40 of those- converted or modified to work with Leica rangefinders. Some 100 of those- took apart for a CLA.

Oh. And I saw Elvis. STL-1000 with 200/3.5 Vivitar.
View attachment 2508

Thanks for sharing your interesting background and the amazing photo above. Congratulations to you, sir--you managed to capture the King of Rock!

Back