DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Function of the FOVEON-microlenses

Luis, sorry to puzzle you. Your simplified explanations regarding the characteristics of the Foveon sensor, it's optical filter etc. are what I was thanking you for.

I guess I am not knowledgeable in some of the areas that you are. :) Let me just say that I am extremely happy to have you here as a contributor to my knowledge.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Luis, sorry to puzzle you. Your simplified explanations regarding the characteristics of the Foveon sensor, it's optical filter etc. are what I was thanking you for.

I guess I am not knowledgeable in some of the areas that you are. :) Let me just say that I am extremely happy to have you here as a contributor to my knowledge.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Thanks Jim . I see . I just wanted to know which of my numerous postings you where referring to , "Seeing the Light" happens to be the underlying subject of Linear processing.

I intend to be a regular contributor to this forum but since I believe that this camera is the best Tool available for the Visual Artist and completely unsuited for the professional , my entries will always have an artistic slant.

Art is said to require Vision , Craft and Content , therefore I intend to contribute in all those areas and more. Luis

PLEASE CLICK ON IT TO SEE IT LARGER

View attachment 866

Attachments

• IMG18235cropped1200.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG18235cropped1200.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm looking forward to your continued contributions , Luis! I agree wholeheartedly with your descriptive "visual art tool" comment.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Hey Luis,

that is a picture after my fancy!! Very nicely done! :z02_respekt::z02_respekt::z02_respekt:

Luis, there is a thing I would like to ask you ....

Have you ever tried another DSLR brand to compare it with your SIGMA-findings?!
You find both chaps ... those who came from other brands, experience a SIGMA and stay ... and others who test the SD and go for a CANON.

To be honest ... I came to SIGMA when the SD10 was sold out for very little money. My first picture results were that disappointing that I first wanted to return it.
As soon as I then learned that my poor image results went on my own incompetence to cope with that difficult cam, I became more ambitious.
Now I would not consider a changeover at all.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Luis,

that is a picture after my fancy!! Very nicely done! :z02_respekt::z02_respekt::z02_respekt:

Luis, there is a thing I would like to ask you ....

Have you ever tried another DSLR brand to compare it with your SIGMA-findings?!
You find both chaps ... those who came from other brands, experience a SIGMA and stay ... and others who test the SD and go for a CANON.

To be honest ... I came to SIGMA when the SD10 was sold out for very little money. My first picture results were that disappointing that I first wanted to return it.
As soon as I then learned that my poor image results went on my own incompetence to cope with that difficult cam, I became more ambitious.
Now I would not consider a changeover at all.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

There are several issues at play here:
  • The early Sigma dependance on user RAW processing clashed with the low imaging literacy of the early adopters , with bad results. Lots of people moved to other brands that offered in camera JPG with no user participation required.
  • Poor Quality control during manufacturing of early cameras. This factor has improved , but it has not gone away.
  • Lack of good lenses .This also has improved tremendously lately , but still cannot compare with the major players. Sigma is at best a follower and not a leader in lens design and manufacturing.
  • The slow evolution of the Foveon sensor and its difficult Scalability couldnt catch up with the lure of higher Pixel Count and Full Frame appeal of Canon and Nikon.Now whith the acquisition of Foveon things might change in unsuspected ways.
  • Sigma cameras are better suited to artistic sensibilities , which are a Minority, while the rest of the users are interested on making money with the camera. Let them go away . Artists do not know what money is.

My first Single Reflex camera , during the film era , was not one , was two, a Canon and a Nikon F2 . The Canon had better IQ than the Nikon that couldnt focus properly, but non of them could compare with the Leica M3 , so I swaped them for a used M3 , that went to Europe with me and even photographed Wetzlar , where she was born. When I came to the US from France , I moved up to View cameras and never considered a digital camera until the first Sigma SD9 , which I bought and is the one that takes all those images that you like. Now I have two of them.

Just like View cameras , Sigma cameras are not for every body, except for the most demanding people able to put up with its bad sides , in order to get the image quality they sought. Sigma cameras are clumsy and slow , just like View cameras , but just like View Cameras they are really at home in the Great Landscape , where their image quality is the only one that can make justice to Nature.

Luis with SD9 and Leica 100 Apo Macro Elmarit .

View attachment 872

Attachments

• Luisportrait.jpg
    EXIF
    Luisportrait.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 16
Another well thought out post, Luis. I'm in total aggreeance with your analysis. It is a fact that the vast majority of DSLR users have no ambition to activate their grey matter in order to take a picture by personally controlling the camera. ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Back