DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Difference between FM2 and FM2n

J

Josec

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone tell me what the difference is between an FM2 and an FM2n?
Thank you!

The major difference is the flash sync speed was increased from 1/200th to 1/250th. Additionally the 1/200th speed of the FM2 was not metered, being between standard speeds. 1/125th was the highest metered speed the FM2 could employ.

Tom Wilson

Also the max shutter speed of the FM2 is 1/1000 sec if I recall right, this was increased to 1/4000 sec on the FM2n.
Another issue that most of the people overlook , and is not present in all FM2n, is the change in the design of the shutter curtain. On the FM2 is the honeycomb style and the early FM2n also share the same design. Problems with such design gave birth to the aluminun blades shutter curtain in the late FM2n.
talker.gif

Going through my archives
uhoh.gif
I find that Tom is right, the max. shutter speed in both is 1/4000 sec.

The max metered sync speed on the FM2 is indeed 1/125th and of course the 1/200th is unmetered.However, I'm pretty sure the cameral will also sync at any speed slower than 1/125th just like the FM2n will sync at any speed slower that 1/250th.

Back