DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

My Reason for choosing Sigma

yukoner

I had stopped shooting about 12 or so years ago as everything was going digital and I didn't like the images that digital was providing. Then, one day about 6 months ago I came across an image created by the Foveon sensor and Sigma SD14 that intriqued me. So, I did some research.

Having come from the family of another manufacturer noted for it's glass and ability to capture on film, in a previous era, I was very hesitant as it was our belief then that Sigma was only for rank beginners and certainly not the quality needed for those of us shooting professionally.

I have now purchased an SD14 with the 18-200 DC OS lens and a couple of EF 500 Super flashes. While I am finding that not everything works quite as well as the manual would have me believe, I am very impressed with the final images being created. I have no problem working around the "quirks" that the Sigma products (the electrical components) have presented me in order to get the wonderful photos.

I look forward to increased quality control and even better cameras in future. One day I may even purchase a DP1

Norm

That's great, Norm. Not so sure I'd follow with purchasing a DP1. But that's only because cannot see it providing me with any extra benefit over and above the SD14. :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

DP1 decision

That's great, Norm. Not so sure I'd follow with purchasing a DP1. But that's only because cannot see it providing me with any extra benefit over and above the SD14. :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

I probably wouldn't either Jim, that was just an afterthought. I really like the images created by the DP1 and keep reading that it somehow captures differently than the SD series, however, in retrospect I would rather purchase something like a 50-500 lens or perhaps a second SD camera body instead.

Norm

Sigma 80-400mm EX

yukoner,

I have played with the DP1....Like it as a general P&S camera...it does take stunning pictures...and with a little imagination you can adapt it to do more than it was intended....

However, I would also like to recomend the 80-400mm EX lens...very nice very fast on the D14..a little slower on the D10 that I have...but overall a very nice piece of glass....

Just my two cents..

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Nice of you to comment

Thanks Tony. I have also looked at the 80-400 EX you suggest. I am a ways away from deciding though as either will set me back a few dollars...that I don't have right now :)

I have an 18-50 f2.8 on it's way to me as we write. Looking forward to working with this lens for some portraiture.

Norm

Good Luck...

If it is anything like the 20-40 F2.8 you will love it....Have fun shooting....

Tony C.

Back