DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

ND 400 filter correction

W

wojo

Hi all,
I'm planning some portrait shots, strong backlit window setting, and a couple of strobes to the front. I have an ND-400 and was thinking of shooting at 1.4 or so. Checking the filter factor with two different bodies the correction is between 6 and 7 stops. The filter manufacturer claims a 9 stop correction. Should I go with the cameras meters, or with the filter guide?? Two or two and a half stops if a big jump. Thanks in advance for any recomendations.

JW

Hi

If were you, I would not use strobes. I rather would use a slide-screen t o reflect the light from the window. It gives a fine ambiance to the pictut re. If you are not sure about the metering, it would be the best to take a couple of exposures with different settings, starting with the values of the meter, then varying up and down. You will get fine results this way.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Great Idea!!!~!
Slide screens as large reflectors...
Fairly compact.
Hello EBAY!!!
Shouldn't need any ND..
Nothing wrong with reflectors made just for that purpose, but slide screens ought to be quite a bit lower priced.
Thanks
JW

Good suggestion Hans ! I was going to suggest exactly the same thing - you can get beautiful effects using this method . You dont even necessarily need a screen either - I also use largish sheets of polystyrene[very cheap!] and sometimes these fold up silver-foiled sun-screens used for keeping hot sun from streaming through the windscreens of cars when parked[ I have both silver and gold which is nice to reflect a little "warmth"sometimes .They also fold up very small and I generally have one in the car anyway!] . The projector screen can often be most convenient though because it generally comes with its own stand of course! Steve

Folded-up sun screen for cars is what I use. It works great indoors. But outdoors its flimsy construction occasionally makes it difficult to hold steady on windy days.

Back