DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Polarizer filter for g2

Me and my girlfiriend use pol. filters which I equipped with a strip of scaled paper. I decided to make 0 (zero) position in place of maximum effect during the noon, so I cover about 180 degrees. We use it outside, look what is on top, mount on camera, turn to the same position and shoot.
Guessing from exposure information doesn't always work.
Hmmm, idea with dot directed to the sun is interesting... I have to think about it.

Myrra

I have used the light meter method to great effect. Simply watch the meter in the viewfinder as the polarizing filter is rotated. As shutter speed slows, polarization is occuring. It is important to note that not all scenes have significant polarized light. Polarization is maximum when you are aiming at 90 degrees to the sun and minimum when aiming parallel to the sun. Thus, if the sun is in the west and you are aiming to the west or east, do not expect to get much effect from a polarizing filter. The same is true on cloudy days and when the sun is directly overhead.

Not being able to observe directly the darkening through the viewfinder, as with an SLR, does make the process a bit of guesswork. Sometimes, maximum polarization renders sky or water unnaturally dark, but you cannot know that when using an indirect method. Therefore, it may be useful to "bracket" the polarization, much as you would with an exposure compensation dial.

I haven't tried it yet although I propose to, but I would have thought that using a separate secondary filter held to the eye and then transferring the positioning to the one on the camera, would also allow you to place the secondary filter in front of the viewfinder and view the effect.

Back