DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

AEMM lenses in particular the 2528

G

I used to have the 28/2.8 but was very disappointed with it - particularly edge sharpness. it generally seemed to be nowhere near the standard of my other lenses, the 135/2.8 and, particularly the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4.

It was suggested to me to try the 25/2.8 (which you would have thought wouldn't be too different from the 28) and I bought a very battered one second hand for about £330 a couple of years ago. I now swear by this lens - it is probably the lens I use more than any other.

The strange thing is that everything I read makes out that the 28 is much better than the 25 (and is, of course, about half the price).

So, my question is - is it just me, or could it be the fact that my 25 is a German AE, not a Japanese MM?

By the way (total afterthought here) I'd like to get a 35/2.8 - any good?

John

Hi John,

I have a German-made 25/2.8 and a Japanese-made 28/2.8, and generally the 28 is a bit crisper due to higher contrast. It is also more resistant to relections and does a better job in backlight situations.

Just my experience.

Jakob

Whether it is a MM or AE lens has no implication for the optical performance. MM/AE is only a matter of the mechanics of aperture-operation.=20

Jakob

Do MM lenses fit on pre-mm bodies, and also pre-mm lenses on mm bodies?

Back