DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

85 f2 verses 105 f25 How do they compare

G

I am looking at buying a short tele but cant decide between the 85 f2 and the 105 f2.5. I will use the lens for portaiture but not exclusively. Any comments on sharpness, contrast etc?

Steve

I have had both the 85mm f2.0 and 105mm f2.5 for some time. Both great lenses. I favor the 85. My current most used camera is the D1X. This camera seems to really show minor flaws in lens quality, and I seem to see the 85 as having less distortion in the corners, even wide open. Often I use this lens with a (gasp) Vivitar 2X Macro tele-converter to photograph close-up headshots of my parrots. This combo gives better than expected results wide open, but the 105 had a noticeable loss in sharpness if used with the 2X. Without the converter the 105 is still noticeably softer. I could send an ex&le if interested.

John, I am interested. Thanks for your help. I think the 85 is the one I would prefer.

Steve

Back