DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Looking for some advice on Contax AX

Hi Andrey

Sounds like the aperture pick-up ring in the camera throat has "slipped". If the AX is similar to older Contax cameras, there is a small pinion (gear) that can slip over the teeth on the larger ring .... causing inaccuracy. This would only happen under stressed conditions (the camera .... not the photographer!)

It should show 1.2 in the viewfinder with no lens mounted under the conditions described.

Have you noticed any problems mounting or dismounting a particular lens recently? Maybe even only once? Felt like the lens jammed slightly?

I'd not be confident to fiddle myself and would pay up to have it looked at, to confirm what I suspect and to rectify the problem.

Anyone else had this happen on an AX?

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your reply!

When I install 1.4 - viefinder shows 2.8.
2.0 - ................1.4
2.8 - ................2.

I've just received this camera and it was in transportation...

Is it serious mulfunction?

Rgds,
Andrey.

Hello Bob,

Yes..I've noticed,that a little pin near this pinion is not fixed...although at my RX it's fixed...Can it be fixed easyly?

Andrey.

Whatever the cause turns out to be ..... I would regard it as serious, in that it appears to be stopping you being confident to take accurate photos with it!

I assume that the lenses work fine on your RTS II. It is very unlikely to be a power/battery problem, as I have never seen such behaviour when my battery gets low.

If you have recently acquired this camera and paid "normal" money for a camera in "normal" working order, then I would take the issue up with the vendor. An enquiry along the lines of my previous question might reveal something ...... Has the previous owner noticed this readout problem or had any problems mounting or dismounting a particular lens? I do not know the situation that you acquired the camera .... but I would be tempted to throw the problem back to the vendor ... if I knew that I had done nothing wrong.

I can't think what the situation might be, but there could be a simple explanation that the vendor could explain! I doubt it, but you can do no harm by asking and pointing out that you suspect the camera is defective!

Although we haven't 100% established the cause, if it turns out to be what I suspect, it is unlikely to have been caused in transport ..... certainly not without the packageing or camera showing some major sign of abuse!

I had a beaten-up old Contax ST that had a similar problem when I mounted a beaten-up Tamron ADII mount on it. There was a definite "clicking sound" ... and I knew something had gone wrong when mounted the lens.

I summoned up the courage to remove the lens mount ring (because it was a rather well used camera) and play with the setting of the aperture pick-up ring until all appeared right. I had no more problems with the camera and binned the AD II mount.

If the ring has slipped, I don't think I would do this with my AX .... I would pay up to have it done professionally. But check with the vendor first before pulling out YOUR wallet!

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Just seen your last post, as mine appeared!

Any chance of a digital shot of the area .... it was a while ago when I opened up my ST!

Is the large aperture pick-up ring moving freely when moved clockwise and is it springing back quickly to about 1 O'clock due to spring tension?

Cheers, Kyocera Kid

audrey,
i had a similar problem after i dropped ax with vs28-85 on board falling on lens.
the aperture ring had to be repaired and i don't know what else - in this case by kyocera in new jersey.
henry

hi audrey,

it was expensive. about can.$ 1000. but it was sent via the canadian kyocera repair shop. so they must have got their share. fortuneately covered by
insurance.
of interest all other official contax repair shops
are no longer certified.

good luck

henry

>>>>>>>>>>it was expensive. about can.$ 1000. but it was sent via the canadian kyocera repair shop<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Henry,
I know and use one of the Contax repair guys that worked at Contax before they closed up in Canada. He was one of "the" guys. If you're interested in using him in the future, let me know and I'll send you his info. I use him and am happy.
Jeff

Back