DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Feedback on E 1 wanted

redwood

Despite being a Contax and Canon user it is likely that my first digital camera will be the E 1. Images will be used in stock photography for an online picture library. Before i take the plunge i would be gratefull of any feedback on the reality of the E 1 as a performer. What are the best cards to use for the digital files. Any information gratefully rceived

Hi David,

The E-1 is an extremely nice handling camera, and is exceptionally well built too.Since I got mine a couple of months ago I have been very impressed by both the image quality and ergonomics. I use Fuji cards and find no problems. In my opinion using a couple of 256 or 512 Mb cards in conjunction with a portable CD writer (as I do) makes more sense economically and is a lot safer than putting all your eggs in one basket with a 2 or 4 Gb card (or microdrive).
I have a couple of reservations however - one is that if you regularly need to use ISO settings above 400 you may find the E-1's noise levels too high - certainly higher than the Canon 10D for ex&le. The other is whether the libraries that you submit to will accept the file sizes that the E-1 produces. Some will only accept a non-interpolated file size of at least 30Mb,for ex&le.A 16 bit TIFF file from the E-1 is about 21Mb, and of course at 8 bit you are only looking at just over 10Mb.Having said that, in my opinion the files from the E-1 can stand quite considerable size increases (especially with Genuine Fractals for ex&le)and it all depends on the end use of course.If you need a system that is compact,robust and easy to travel with then it has lots going for it. Once the promised 7mm -17mm (or whatever) zoom is released later this year, three light but reasonably fast (f2.8-f3.5) lenses will cover the range from 7mm to 200mm (or 14-400mm in 35mm terms)
Perfect for travel work - which was a major reason for me buying it.
Bottom line? I really don't think you'd be dissappointed!

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response. The picture library i use already accepts images from Canon 10D users. They suggest using genuine fractals to increase the image in the range 48mb to 70mb. I understand that the E1 give a TIFF file size of around 15mb and so should in theory be able to cope with the requirements considering its image quality. Finally what is the diference between compact flash and micro drive?

David

HI David,

The difference between compact flash and microdrive storage media is that compact flash is "solid state" memory -(think of RAM in a computer?), whereas the microdrive is, as the name suggests, a very small hard disc drive. They are much more prone to mechanical damage (through being dropped for instance) than the compact flash cards. They also consume more battery power.
Compact flash is the better option, in my opinion.

Regards,

Andy.

David,

Just a quick correction to my earlier posting concerning the size of an 8 bit RGB TIFF from the E-1.
It is typically just over 14Mb, not 10Mb as I told you in error. I was working on a cropped image at the time and must have had that figure in my head.
Blame it on old age (or something!)

Cheers,

Andy.

I bought a E1 last week and it was supplied with a Magicstor 2.2 compact flash disk drive as part of a 'deal' with the shop, an official Olympus dealer. I was suprised to find after charging batteries that the camera didn't recognise the card. When i returned the camera and card to the shop the card didn't work in the demo body either. I am a bit disappointed that these issues aren't resolved pre sale but i am suspicious of their motives. The deal was £1900 for E1 kit with a 2.2 compact flash. I have been told that if the card remains incompatible i will have to pay for any increase in costs for a similar but more expensive card. In effect i am paying for the incompetance of the staff. My point of view is that i made a legal contract with the shop for the afore mentioned deal and it is there job to provide with the kit at the mutually agreed price and one that works. The fact that they offered a kit that didn't work is their responsibility and duty to honour.

I would appreciate any feedback as regards card issues or points raised on my purchase problems.

David.

First the Magicstor 2.2 compact flash disk drive is junk and I would never use one in any digital device, much less an Olympus E-1 DSLR.
Second, if they can't supply you with a Magicstor 2.2 compact flash disk drive that works in the E-1, and if you're lucky they won't be able to, get them to discount a 1 Gig Lexar 40X card by the price of the Magicstor, pay the difference, and forget about it.
The E-1 works so dang well with the fast CF cards, that you have no business using slow microdrives in it anyway. So be glad that you have an opportunity to upgrade to a decent flash card, hopefully at an additional discount (be a tough negotiator, nice but tough).
I have a Lexar 1G 40x and a Transcend 1G 45X and they both work beautifully. The microdrives impose such a speed penalty (I've tried them but won't buy them) that they aren't worth the trouble.

Edwin

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the comments. I am a complete novice to digital and appreciate the feedback. What annoys me also is that throughout i was told that the magicstor was pro spec and was worth over £300. I have since seen it for £130 and i paid £120 on top of the kit on the strength of there valuation of the card. I do feel a bit cheated. I feel as if im dealing with some dodgy car dealer or market stall holder. I think i will raise the matter with Trading Standards and Sales at Olympus.UK. I am not a happy bunny at Easter time. Its a bit like buying a new car without an engine.

Hi David,

Just to say that I agree with Edwin entirely regarding the CF versus microdrive issue.Just don't bother with Microdrive.
By the way,were you able to take advantage of the offer currently operating ,where if you trade in any working SLR body and lens you can claim either a £200 cashback, the FL50 flashgun, the 50mm f2.0 macro lens or a CF memory card (2Gb ,I think)?Unfortunately I bought mine about a month too early to qualify (typical!).A real shame, as either the FL50 or the 50/f2.0 retail at £300+ each and both are on my list of future system purchases.
I believe that the offer runs until the end of April so anyone considering the E-1 should start looking for an old Praktica Nova or something to trade in - it just has to work after a fashion, that's all.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I was aware of the offer and if the deal was a workable one i would have gone for the flash but i think i might find myself going for the compact flash card instead. When testing the camera and lens before purchase i was suprised at the quality of image of the 50-200 sigma dc lens. The test images were taken with an eos fit lens and body and if the blurb given out by Olympus is correct the performance with the E1 should be better. Has any one else handled or used the lens on the E1 or is it about to go on general sale.

Back