DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax TVS Digital press release

Any word on ISO sensitivity yet? For me this would only be an acceptable back up tool if it went up to 800. Otherwise it's back to Nikons.

Matt

Scott,

thanks for the link.

I think your are totally right about the missing TIFF or RAW feature. = A semi-pro camera must provide lossless output for photoshop users.

Hopefully they just forgot it in the data sheet?

Again, I would have appreciated a CF II slot instead of MM/SD, in = order to use a Microdrive.=20

But from the specs, the real disappointment for me remains the focal = range. The only digicams with a 28mm lens are still Nikon 5000 and = Minolta Dynax 7i; which both are horrible photographic instruments, = IMHO.

Till-

I agree that a 28mm lens would have been better, especially for landscape and architectural use. A 28mm-90mm lens would have been optimum, but I'd personally settle with the 35-105mm.

What troubles me more about the lens is that not only are your stuck with only 3 aperture settings at 105mm, the widest aperture of F4.8 is narrower than the F4.7 the camera uses when its not zoomed out.

Once more, look at Sony's DSC-S85. The stops start at F2.0 at wide angle, and F2.5 at telephoto:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscs85/page5.asp

Perhaps I am missing something here; I hope I am.

-SJV

This can still be a successful product (for Contax) if the timing is right as well as the price. So far for all I feel it is going to be a failure similar to Leica Digilux. Camera is just not going to be released on time. Olympus and Nikon are having working prototypes of similar equipment ready to be shipped. Olympus actually quoted a price of 550 British Pounds for their camera. Reasons to buy a Contax on this level are very few and so far in my opinion it is only titanium finish and size. If I want the Zeiss lens I will go to any Sony product. If I want a better ISO rating I go to Nikon. The fact is that Contax can't take their sweet time with perfecting this camera. People want the best and the newest now not tomorrow. Digital market is not riding on reputation of the camera (maybe first) but mostly it is riding on specs. So what that Contax is going to release the camera with 5MP when everyone is ready to smack 6MP chips into their point and shoots. And since Kyocera in general doesn't have the highest opinion between salesmen as far as digital goes I think that Contax has to go out and make customer want that camera. They can't wait for the word of mouth to do the job for them because it is going to be waaaay to late. I really waited for this camera and now according to specs I will be just as happy with Sony 85 or a Canon G3.

Hi,

had a quick look at the photokina at the Contax TVS Digital. It is looking very small, is extremly light, almost too light. Unfortunately there were no prints made by Contax for the Photokina
sad.gif

And there was neither the possibility to make prints there directly.
sad.gif

VERY STRANGE for the world biggest and most important photo-fair....

Same for the N-Digital by the way. Although a working model was there, the big printer was not working (for three days now) and additionnally there was no bigger paper then postcard size available.

Fortunately 2 minutes away Canon presented a working model of 11m pixel camera with full size chip. They made shootings with a model and direct prints of A1-size for intersted people.

At least some companies know that they want to get money from us, the costumer, not the other way around...

dirk

Hi Dirk,
I've been at the 'kina on wednesday and thursday and spend some time at the Kyocera booth. You mention the manufacturer with the 11mp body whom I visited 'cause its new "not quite p&s" named G3 :) from which I own the first Model (the new one is all plastic - argh!). My coleagues were interested in the 11MP body, because they allready own the 3 and 6 MP Prosumer Models and the high end analogue ones (Model 3 and 1v) and lots of lenses. There is a real difference between that manufacturer and Kyocera. The best information I got about Contax G2 lenses was at the Zeiss booth where we had a fun time with two Zeiss employees me and a swede who is a Contaxt G2 owner, too. You've seen Leicas booth on the way, how many M7's have you tried? Did you take one on a walk with a Kodak T-Max and have that processed in an hour? Same thing with the Sigma SD9, I took my microdrive to Fuji after the photosession. Have you shot Hasselblads and Rolleis at Agfa? There was one Contax 645 body at leaf and phase one, but what kind of marketing is this? Judging from the experience at the Kyocera booth I don't think they are interested in selling Cameras anymore.

just my 0.02 Euro

Volker
P.S.: without the guy who recognised me from CeBit and my Press Badge it would have been worse.

I was at the Photokina and looked at the TVS on show at the Contax stand. It is small and smooth (or should I say slippery). I was not really impressed with what I saw at the stand as yet:
1. the camera feels like plastic and looks like plastic
2 the monitor performance was really poor: low sharpness and contrast and no way one can judge the quality of the camera by this, even with the zoom in the picture was not good.
The guys at the stand said the models on the show are prototypes and the software for the monitor was not entirely finished and therefore not released. The production models once released and for sale will be titanium and with sharp and crisp monitors was their "defence"
Not far from the Contax/Kyocera stand I looked at the Sigma digital SLR with the Foveon CCD (this CCD, unlike all the others, can convert colour information in every pixel instead of by extrapolation with neighbouring pixels and therefore has a significantly higher useful resolution that the comparable Canon and Nikon systems). I was really impressed with the pictures they were producting. The Sigma guys are really scared that the RAW files end up in the wrong place (I could not get a RAW file to take it home and work on it at home to see the quality in Photoshop). Sigma is apparently scared like hell for the big boys in this market and they have a few more months to go before the Sigma digital SLR will be in the shops.

Peter

hi,

Does someone when the CONTAX TVS DIGITAL will be on the market in EUROPE?

I was interested in the camara as well, so I visited the Contax booth at the Photokina for this purpose about 10 days ago. I was told at the Photokina that it will be for sale before end of the year, but the Contax staff at the booth did not want to give a definitive date and it may also be varying by country. At the Photokina I had the distinct impression that the TVS digital is not yet ready and needs some more development (see my comments earlier in this thread).

Back