DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica T Zoom

John and Oseas: thank you for the compliments. Honestly, they are all just quickly pointed-and-shot. Locations are Hong Kong for the pictures of my girlfriend, camera held at arms length wherever I too am in the picture, and the next morning I came to Taipei, Taiwan, on business, and took the other shots in and around my hotel.

Jeff: Ming is right, it was a Yashica T Zoom for $205, not a Contax TVS. Sorry for the confusion.

Dirk: Maybe we should start another subject for the T Zoom? By the way, mine is called a "T Zoom" but it might be called a "T4 Zoom" in the U.S.

Thanks.

Craig

Jeff: Ming is right, it was a Yashica T Zoom for $205, not a Contax TVS. Sorry for the confusion

Damm....but it was pretty exciting there for a while... Still, if anybody wants to sell a new T3 or TVS for around $300US, let me know will you??
:)

Jeff in Colorado

Hi everybody,

although the new Yashica T Zoom has not the Contax label on the body it seems to attract a lot of interest among the Contax users.

This is mainly because of the new lens in it. A Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar 28-70/4.5-8 zoom lens.

Many members are thinking about buying this new P&S. They started discussing it already in different threads at Contaxinfo.com and asked me to open a specific thread for this camera model. So here it is. I will move all older comments regarding this camera into this thread.

And this is the picture of the Yashica T-Zoom:

48382.jpg

Dirk:

the T Zoom user manual has a piece of paper inserted to say that the highest shutter speed is 1/360th, not 1/300th as originally stated.

Regards,

Craig

Guys, people on photo.net said this camera vignettes terribly. Is that so?

After four rolls of film so far, I haven't seen any vignetting. I'll shoot some more over the weekend, with an emphasis on wide angle wide aperture on slide film, and get back ro you.

Craig

Already for years Iam looking for the 'perfect'
P & S for mountaineering.

My wish list:
A quality zoom lens in the range 28 - 60 or 35-70 (a 30 - 60 is fine as well) The lens is the most important part to me.
Some creative possibilities.
I do not want a camera which suffers from serious vignetting because this can be very visible in scenes with bright snow etc.

Since the contax TVS III seems to suffer from vignetting (and is very expensive) I am very interested in the Yashica T4 zoom.
How about the optics of this zoom lens? Razor sharp? does it suffer from serious vignetting?

My old Yashica T5 needs a replacement. The T5's 35mm 3.5 zeiss lens was good enough for this purpose.

Thanks and kind regards,
Melvin

Melvin, I have shot five rolls of film through my Yashica T Zoom. I have not observed any serious vignetting yet, although I haven't shot much slide film so far. With negative film, there is no vignetting in the scenes I have been shooting. The lens is razor sharp. The lens has very good contrast. The only weakness I have seen is some distortion at the 28mm end which makes people's heads become stretched when near the sides of the frame. Except for that, it is a beautiful camera. The image quality at 40-70mm is outstanding.

Back