DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Greetings from Alaska

v-system

My name is Jakob (I usually go by Jake). I am new to medium format and Hasselblad though I've been a student of photography for fifteen years. My introduction to Hasselblad was in the late 1990's as an assistant to a fashion/wedding photographer in Seattle I knew only as Amjad. It was like working for James Bond! Ultimately professional, a leader and an artist, he had made a name for himself and shot some prominent weddings at the time. I loved the images he could create using the MF medium and i vowed to try it for myself one day. Now, thirteen years later, I finally own a Hassy of my own, the venerable 500c/m and two lenses, the 50mm Distagon CT* and the 250mm Sonnar CT*. At the moment, my entire setup is off to Hasselblad Tech David Odess for servicing but when it all returns, I will post images for you to enjoy and critique. I have no digital images yet, unfortunately. Thanks for the forum; I look forward to meeting each of you!

Cheers,

Jake.

Welcome here Jake,

Nice thought to buy us all a beer but did you know there are 3000 users here of which at least 1000 are very active?
Well we can go in shifts I suppose to make it easier on your wallet.

I guess you will be looking for something between 50 and 250 focal length in a while.
Take a look at the classified section before you go to evilbay or other sources.
Happy hunting!

Paul
Forum moderator.

Thanks Maarten & Paul. Yes, I will be in the market for a "normal" lens as soon as my equipment fund recovers from the sticker-shock of professional service. I was considering skipping the 80mm (fine a lens as it is) and getting an older T* 100mm. I've heard it said that there's not a big enough difference between the 80mm and 50mm to warrant owning both. Not sure I agree with that but I've heard the 100mm is quite exceptional in it's own right and it is still within the realm of normal for the format.

The 50 has a right of its own besides the 80 mm or the 100 mm lens.
Looking at the angle of view is an easier way to see what the difference is.

If you have no problem with the ergonomics of C lenses look for a 100 mm Planar from the C series.
T* is nice but not an absolute must as long as you use a good shade.
C series lenses are easier to find for a friendly price.

Service of your gear is in excellent hands with David Odess.
It is going to cost you but his rates are quite friendly compared with HB USA.

Paul

Back